Roaster Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yakuta

Head Chef
I have never used a Roaster Oven before. My husband just bought me one and I am tempted to use it for Thanksgiving to roast turkey.

I just am not sure if the meat browns just like in a traditional oven. I have a convection oven and I like the results I get when I roast chicken, turkey, cornish hens.

Not having used them before I am a bit skeptical and need pointers from others who have used it before.

Besides roasting what other things can you use this for.

Yakuta, I never have used one, but I know that my grandmother always swore by hers for roasting chickens, turkeys, kapons, etc. Hope you enjoy yours!

A turkey done in the roaster oven comes out very moist, BUT the skin will not even be close to what you get in a conventional or convection oven. The lid keeps the moisture in so that doesn't help with crisping and browning the skin.

If the appearance of the bird is important, don't use the roaster oven. If a moist turkey is all you're interested in, then use it, especially if you do the carving in the kitchen.

BTW, make sure it doesn't touch the sides of the insert. The heat comes from the side, so if it touches, it will probably burn in that spot.

Thank you PABaker and PSIGuy. Based on the very complete comments by PSIGuy I think I will skip using it this Thanskgiving. I guess some experimentation is in order and I don't believe I can do that on Thanksgiving day and jeopardize the look of the bird because I normally carve at the table.

I think you made the right decision. Anytime I've ever roasted a bird in the roaster, I was always disappointed with the appearance and the skin, BUT the meat was very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom