Roaster Oven Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxy

Senior Cook
This Thanksgiving will be my first time using a Roaster oven. I got a Waring Pro Proffesional 18 Quart Roaster Oven. I wanted to keep my oven free to bake other stuff in at Thanksgiving. Anyway...I always covered my turkey up with aluminum foil when I baked it in the oven. I took the foil off about a half-hour before the turkey was done so it would brown a bit. My question is: Does anyone have a roaster oven and do you cover the turkey with foil and then take it off about a half hour before it is done..to brown a little? Also, do you put water in your roaster oven to bake the turkey and if you do..how my water do you put in it? Thanks to anyone who can help me..appreciate it alot.

turkey in roaster oven

This won't help you but I have only done 2 turkeys in my roaster and have not used foil or put water in. The turkeys have turned out well tastewise but have not browned well. If anyone has an answer, it would be great. I like my roaster, especially since it frees up the oven to cook everything else, but am tempted to go back to using the oven and cooking bags.

seems like I remember reading something somewhere that they're not going to brown and if you want to brown them, to take them out half hour before they're done and put in your regular oven.....

I've used mine a couple times and they haven't browned. But, boy, they sure cook well!!

seems like I remember reading something somewhere that they're not going to brown and if you want to brown them, to take them out half hour before they're done and put in your regular oven.....

I've used mine a couple times and they haven't browned. But, boy, they sure cook well!!

Yes!

It's the dry heat that you're after, to brown the bird nicely and beautifully.

I was going to get one of these. Rival had introduced compact oval-shaped electric ones last year just before T'giving. I was so tempted to get one, but I didn't. I saw them at Target.

But be that as it may, I mainly like to bake mine in the regular oven at a moderate temp like about 300 to 325 degrees. To about 165 degrees. Carry-over cooking time finishes it.

I used to cover the bird completely, but I found out that doing it that way makes a lot of water and when the bird is done and cools down a little bit, the breast meat is too dry!

So now, I just loosely cover the bird in the pan to help it retains all the natural juices and flavor and to keep it from overbrowning. During the lat 1/2
hour, I take the foil off to finish and brown it.

When it comes out of the oven and has cooled a bit, you slice into the breast
and it's just dripping with those juices, it's tender and moist. Perfecto!!:chef:

My sister did hers that way this time, and it was so good!!

Last edited:
I have used my roaster to cook a large bird (22 lb). It did brown nicely, which was probably due to the longer cooking time. It is my new favorite appliance. It frees up the oven for all of those other dishes.

Back
Top Bottom