"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Roaster ovens

Im thinking of getting a roaster oven to cook a turkey for Thankgiving.Who has one and how do you like it?Does it really make a good roasted turkey?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I like my roaster - it gives the turkey some "breathing" room and lets it roast versus the sides being so high and more or less steaming. It also comes in handy to mix big batches of potato salad or pasta salad in

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Master Chef

Grandma had one and I never noticed anything wrong with her turkey. She also used it for hams and other things, too. It also frees up your oven for other uses on busy days when you're trying to cook a lot for a crowd.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have one and really like it. Last year I baked my green bean casserole, sweet potato dish, extra dressing in it. I put a rack on the bottom and placed the sweet potato casserole and the green bean dish on it, put another rack on top of those and put the pan with the dressing on top. About 30 minutes before time to serve dinner, I wrapped my dinner roles in foil and put them in.

My grandmother had one, too, and cooked her turkeys in it. They were always delicious.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I probably am not doing it right but I noticed that when I make a turkey in it, the skin is kinda soggy. Still tastes good but doesn't have that gorgeous, Norman Rockwell painting look. So last year, I used it to bake my stuffing and that worked fine.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I probably am not doing it right but I noticed that when I make a turkey in it, the skin is kinda soggy. Still tastes good but doesn't have that gorgeous, Norman Rockwell painting look. So last year, I used it to bake my stuffing and that worked fine.
I just read that you can take turkey out 1/2 hour early and put in a 400 degree oven to finish it and brown and crisp it it.
This roaster Im looking at is a Hamilton Beach 18 qt roaster the neat part is it comes with an insert that has three 2 qt enamel buffet pans that fit in it with a stainless steel hinged lid.Its going for $45.00 on sale plus shipping which looks like its justabout $10.00.Im thinking about getting it.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I just read that you can take turkey out 1/2 hour early and put in a 400 degree oven to finish it and brown and crisp it it.
This roaster Im looking at is a Hamilton Beach 18 qt roaster the neat part is it comes with an insert that has three 2 qt enamel buffet pans that fit in it with a stainless steel hinged lid.Its going for $45.00 on sale plus shipping which looks like its justabout $10.00.Im thinking about getting it.
Ours is the same size and is GE. I didn't get the buffet insert. You might want to check Wal-Mart. That's where I bought ours. I paid about $26 for it. They're on sale there this time of the year. I think the 3-tray buffet server is about $12 on sale. I didn't check, but Wal-Mart online might be a place to look, too. You might get a better price. Some retailers will sell a product online and allow you to pick it up at one of their box stores with little or no shipping fee. Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Ours is the same size and is GE. I didn't get the buffet insert. You might want to check Wal-Mart. That's where I bought ours. I paid about $26 for it. They're on sale there this time of the year. I think the 3-tray buffet server is about $12 on sale. I didn't check, but Wal-Mart online might be a place to look, too. You might get a better price. Some retailers will sell a product online and allow you to pick it up at one of their box stores with little or no shipping fee. Just a thought.
Thanks,I will check it out.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Have you considered one like this?

I really want one of these! The Wal-Mart I went to this past weekened didn't have one though. BUT.....there are three more in town I can check.....maybe I should call first?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Looks like a cool one but Im not big on smoking foods.Im looking at the convection roasters now.Does any one have one of those?I bet they will brown your roasts.