"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I'm not supposed to have it, but I think the best part of a roast chicken or turkey is the skin when it's dry, crisp and golden brown!!

Then the tender moist breast meat.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I also love the crispy skin on a chicken or turkey.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
Master Chef

Another crispy skin fanatic here - lol!!!

I love those "healthy" recipes that tell you to pull it off. I just laugh, enjoy the skin, & try to make up with healthy stuff for other days of the week.

Life is too short to always eat skinless poultry - lol!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I agree with all three of you, yum - you only life once -- I think ! Love it though !
Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Mmmmm!!

The beast meat is the most fat-free part of the bird anyway. next time I roast a turkey, I'm just going to do the breast part.

And BTW, the skin serves as a baster for the meat, helping to keep it most, tender and juicy, and there is also much less fat ther under the skin.

I like to watch the rotisserie spin the bird with the fat dripping off. Then I say to myself; "Wow, look at that, this unit is really cutting the fat!!"
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #16
Master Chef

I inherited my parents old timer but am a bit timid to use it. I'm curious about this Showtime brand. How long does it take to cook a whole chicken? How's it do with pork loin?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #17
Master Chef

SizzlininIn - I can't help you out with your pork question, but as far as poultry is concerned, it's not much of a time saver, but the quality & crispiness of the bird is definitely better, in my opinion, to regular oven roasting.

Like cooking anything else, it all depends on size. I will say that the guidelines that come with the Showtime rotisserie have been right on the money so far time-wise. The average "roasting" chickens I usually do in it take about 1 hour to 1-1/4 hour. What's nice is that you can turn the heat off, but keep the rotation going, & your bird will stay hot & moist for another 45 minutes or so. I find that a GREAT help when I'm roasting one & don't know when traffic might hold my husband up a bit on his way home from work. The meat doesn't dry out, skin stays crisp - I'm telling you, I can't say enough good things about the Showtime brand. And I just have the little original one - they've come out with larger ones with more bells & whistles since I got mine.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #18
Executive Chef

As with most meats, pork loin is usually cooked by so many minutes to the pound. I believe that it's cooked to an internal temp of abut 165 degrees.

Not too much higher than that, or it will start to dry out and become tough.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
As with most meats, pork loin is usually cooked by so many minutes to the pound. I believe that it's cooked to an internal temp of abut 165 degrees.

Not too much higher than that, or it will start to dry out and become tough.
Oh, please, don't cook a pork loin to that temp. It will be dry, very very done and almost inedible. Cook it to 145 or at most 150* and let it rest. It will be rosy and juicy and pretty good. They are just so lean now. I have all but given up on roasting, and just use braising recipes which are delicious.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks so much for the information. I love baked chicken so this would be a wonderful change.....plus I'll save on the dreaded gas bill too.