Salad Shooter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Is this little appliance still made? I've gone through three of them in my life, not to mention the old version of it my mom gave me that she got for a wedding gift in 1954 (it had a hand crank). I'm tired of scraped knuckles, and my food processor gets to hard to clean when I grate cheese that it isn't worth the trouble. Don't tell me a kitchenaid mixer with attachments, I'm not in the market for something that big and expensive. Something that has the cup-like grating cones. I don't care if it is electric or hand-cranked. And something bigger than the little ones for grating parm (have one and love it, but doesn't work on softer cheeses and couldn't possibly grate a carrot or slice a cuke)

I've thought about getting one for years and wondered if it would serve my needs. My mom had one and it just disappeared and nobody knows where it went. We eat lots of salads and use lots of veggies, but I've never seen how it works. Is it worth the price and space it takes up? Would I use it most every day? More often than the food processor I hate to drag out? I think they are still available.

Yes, Claire, the salad shooter is still alive and on the market! I did a quick Google search and found these sources for you.

As for soft cheeses - I did read a tip somewhere that said that if you oiled the surface of the grater before using it for soft cheeses it was easier to clean. Personally, I don't have a problem ... I run hot tap water over it (hand grater or grating disk) for 30-seconds to a minute and use a nylon bristle brush ... no problem.

licia said:
I've thought about getting one for years and wondered if it would serve my needs. My mom had one and it just disappeared and nobody knows where it went. We eat lots of salads and use lots of veggies, but I've never seen how it works. Is it worth the price and space it takes up? Would I use it most every day? More often than the food processor I hate to drag out? I think they are still available.

licia, I have had two and loved both of them. I got the second one because I wore the first one out. It does not take up much of space and is easier to clean than a food processor. I like it because it is portable. Great for taking to other places where you made need a food processor, but don't want to haul one around. I use it at work for BBQ's, potlucks, etc. If you eat lots of veggies I am sure that you could use it everyday or at least 3-4 times per week.

FtW, in the morning I will look up the sources and order one. I loved the darned thing. I've had three. That doesn't mean they don't hold up, it means I use them to death. Yes, I can clean the food processor with tons of hot water and elbow grease. But you have to understand, I cook, hubby cleans. It isn't the blade he swears at, it is a little ledge between the lid and the base of ours that collects all the grease. To be honest with you, the food processers I've had have been more trouble than they were worth when it comes to cheese clean-up (in other words, when I use the processor, I get to do the clean up. Fun, fun. Enough to turn me off to cooking). My mom gave me her wedding present of a salad maker (it was 30 years old then, over 20 years ago) when I was young and I loved the thing. It died and the salad shooter was the next best thing ... and I've been through three of them (since the cones are made of plastic, sometimes the metal separates from the plastic, and sometimes I just plain wear out the motors). Others may not find them worth it, but I love cucumber salads, grated cheese, slaws, .... well, I just use mine to death. Literally. Mom says when she got her manual version as a wedding present, she wondered if the giver was insane. She got 30 years out of it, and I got a decade more. If I could replace that one, I would. For those of you with a KitchenAid, you can get attachments to it that look like they would fit the bill. Since I don't bake, that's way too much dinero for a salad slicer. Thanks for the help.

Oh, Licia, I'm with Sierra. It fits in a drawer. It is easy to clean. In my case, I'm much more likely to use it than my more bulky appliances -- you can hold it in your hand. If you and your family aren't into vegetables, maybe it wouldn't be for you, it depends on what you like. But I used .. well, as I said, I used them to death and cannot find one in a local store. Thank heaven for this web site, I'm sure I'll have one before the holiday season cooking starts!

Thank you Fort Worth. Decided to go ahead and order. Why can I not get used to the idea of ordering stuff on-line? I guess it's creepy to me that I went to Amazon, and since I've ordered there before they know everything about me, without a code or anything. Oh, well. So far no one's charged anything to my credit card, so it must be safe. It simply didn't occur to me. Since I couldn't find it in my local stores, I thought it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom