Salad shooters...do you have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I think that is what they are called. They are an electric singular function device that slices veggies to make salads or soups, or anything that requires uniformly sliced veggies. I don't think they will do cheeses or meats - maybe imitation meats like hot dogs or spam..but not real meat.

Does anyone have one? How useful do you find them? How easy are they to clean up?

I don't have one but I know that they can be useful for people who don't have good knife skills. If I really need uniformly extra thin slices like for a cucumber salad, I pull out my mandolin.
My husband had one before we met and he liked it a lot.

I don't think they will do cheeses or meats - maybe imitation meats like hot dogs or spam..but not real meat.

I believe the folks in the world of charcuterie would disagree with you that hotdogs are "imitation meat".;) After all a hotdog is a type of sausage. Spam contains real meat, so it isn't "imitation meat" either, although it is disgusting to a lot of folks.

We have several devices that serve that purpose. A very well made stainless steel mandolin with multiple, specific purpose blades, a food processor with different attachments and a Kitchen Aid mixer, for which an attachment can be purchase to do that job. All of these are well made products and not something you see on TV for $19.95

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't have the salad shooter, but bought a handheld compact food processor with a chute for about $20. Used it once to grate cheese. I feel more comfortable using my knives.

I like my mandolin and FP. Don't have a salad shooter. I gave one to DH's grandma many years ago for Christmas, she loved it.

i HAD SOMETHING sort of like that. It was a food proc. that was sort of small. If you wanted to process anything bigger than would fit in the workbowl, it had a feature to shoot it out, into whatever container you wanted.

I hardly used it. It was messy.

I've had one (actually 3) for most of my adult life. I loved it. To each his own. As a kid, growing up, Mom had something manual that was similar (the cones went on to a base, and you hand cranked it to slice, grate in two sizes, or ripple cut). I loved the darned thing, and especially during my traveling years, when a food processor would have been too bulky, it was wonderful. I used and abused the things so much that I went through 3 of them in 30 years.

I recently wore through my last one, and my el cheapo food processor (which couldn't do anything quite as well as the shooter, and was harder to clean, and didn't go with us on our RV-ing years), and replaced both the food processor and shooter with a state-of-the-art Cuisinart food processor with the three interlocking bowls. But there's no way, even if it had been invented then, that I could have traveled with the behomoth. I love it, but it weighs more than anything else in my kitchen. I loved my salad shooters for making slaws and cucumber salads, grating cheese (something none of my food processors have done as well). If you want something hand-held, weighs little, and gets the little jobs done, I recommend it. I used all of mine at least twice a week for ten years before they'd give up the ghost and die.

Potato peeler

not quite sure what a salad shooter is but,when bolas & i were kids mum had a hand cranked potato peeler.i think it was made by moulinex & it looked like a large,cream enamelled saucepan with a hand crank sticking out of the lid.the walls of the bottom half were lined with what looked like the fine side of a grater & attached to the handle in the lid were 4 perforated paddles.you put your spuds & some water in the base,clipped on the lid,turned the handle a few times,took off the lid and,hey presto,perfectly peeled,pefectly round/oval spuds!.worked with beets & turnips etc too.
haven't seen/can't find one anywhere.any of you guy's got one or know where you can get one?
ta!
harry

One of the things I enjoy in life is "food prep." I have always said, put me in the back room of a restaurant and give me a fifty pound bag of potatoes and carrots to peel and I would be in heaven. Then slicing and dicing. But I am older now and with arthritis in both hands, I use my mandolin. But I still love to peel veggies and fruit. One of the reasons my apple pies are so high is because I insist on peeling ten apples. No matter what size the pie plate. I always feel a slight letdown when I have the food prep done and the food is cooking. :(

Back
Top Bottom