Salad spinner + deep fryer = ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched a few minutes of the infomercial...Seems pretty neat as long as it can cook hot enough...

The other thing they "claim" is, you fry the food in oil then raise the basket out of the oil and spin...While spinning, the unit is still somewhat sealed so spinning food and a hot oil underneath creates a convection effect (that is a true claim)...The claim is that the now convection baking both gives you crispy skin and also "assists" with the "draining" of the oil of the already fried foods...

The most important thing about any fryer, as someone already here, is maintaining the proper temperature. The good news for this item is it has a immersed element or the coil sits in the oil...The other good news is that the wattage seems to be high enough. Most people hear you need to heat the oil to 375f...Even the cheapest $15 wally world fryer can get to that temp, eventually. Once you max capacity of food in, the oil temp will drop a little under 300f...You need to have a unit hot enough to increase that temp as fast as possible. That will dictate how much oil is absorbed. Usually food fries around 310...Once a batch of food is done, that oil needs to get back up to 375 before you drop your second batch. Again, the wattage and immersed coil make it look like a great unit ON PAPER...

If you already own a descent fryer, I do not think this is a great replacement...But if you're in the market for a new fryer, this could be a good solution...If this ever dropped to $100 shipped, (Cheapest is about $150 shipped currently), I may give this a try and return it if I don't like it.

hmmm, to get technical about this (where's yt when we need him), does oil or fat have the same van der wall's forces acting on them as watrer does?
would centrifugal force be enough to overcome the bent/dipole effects of oil, if they exist? or is andy's theorem correct, that only half of the food would shed oil, while the other half would absorb more.

the reason salad spinners work has more to do with the molecular properties of water than the work produced by simple machines.

I just thought of something to add to my post...When the gadget is in spin mode, there is no food in the oil, therefore I'll bet the unit cranks the element to heat up the oil back to 375. Whether or not spinning reduces the fat or not, at the very least it does at least keep your food warm and while getting the oil hot enough for the next batch.

What have we learned from this thread? The more the merrier! Fry, shake the basket, put it in a salad spinner for two minutes then put it on brown paper/newspaper/paper towels...Then put it in the broiler to crisp up the skin!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom