"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Salad spinner + deep fryer = ?

lol check this out. George Foreman has a new gadget:

Quote:
Trimming the fat? This fryer spins it

We all know George Foreman. Some from his boxing days, but perhaps more of us know him from his role as pitchman for kitchen appliances that "knock out the fat." We were first introduced to this new wave of kitchen-counter gadgetry through the "Lean Mean Fat Fighting Machine," which channeled fat (and juices) away from meat as it cooked. Now, George is taking it up to a whole new level with the "Lean Mean Spin Frying Machine."

Distributed and marketed by Applica, the Lean Mean Fryer claims to "knock out" up to 55 percent of the fat absorbed when deep-frying foods. Using what the company calls Smart Spin technology, the fryer uses a basket that literally spins around after foods are deep-fried. And yes, there is a lid.

The two-stage process starts with a traditional fry in cooking oil. After the greasy bath, the cooking basket is raised above the oil and given a spin to reduce the amount of oil clinging to the food. Think of it as operating on the same principle as a salad spinner for drying greens--it's like that, just not quite as healthy.

Deep fried foods don't have to be a messy affair. The new Foreman fryer promises to reduce not only the hassle, but also the grease, with its ability to spin off the fat. At the very least, it seems up to the challenge to take on the old-fashioned way of deep frying, and meanwhile keeping the rest of us away from those heavyweight belts.

Trimming the fat? This fryer spins it | Appliances and Kitchen Gadgets - CNET Blogs

Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Or, you could do like everyone else in the industry and at home does....shake the basket over the hot oil till the 'clinging oil' was it called....drips off. I imagine any coatings would spin right off, as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Neat concept.
I'm a shaker. Most of the oil comes off, but you can still see a nice shine to the fries (for instance). Gotta have something for the salt to cling to (lol). Back when I was a kid my mother would put the fries in a brown grocery bag and shake them. The bag absorbed a lot I remember, but I don't remember how dry the fries looked. I can see this gadget being bought, but I would be curious if it really does produce a drier fry.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

What a horrible idea. Like Vera said, shaking the basket will do the job. You can also put the finished food on absorbent brown bags or paper towels.

The idea of a basket spinning attached to hot oil is insane to me. What is next? Maybe drying knives by spinning them?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If FFs are spun around, wouldn't the oil on the side of the FF opposite the side against the spinner get oil pushed into it?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Sous Chef

"Distributed and marketed by Applica, the Lean Mean Fryer claims to "knock out" up to 55 percent of the fat absorbed when deep-frying foods."

If the oil has been absorbed, spinning the basket will only knock off the oil on the outside. The best way to prevent oil being absorbed is proper oil temperature.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't click on the link, maybe they show one working, but any kind of centrifuge effect would, IMO, release more oil than it aborbs. I don't think anyone could shake the basket as fast as what that spinner will go.
And as long as the lid is down, what difference does it make if you have a single axle spinning in oil while the basket is above, or however it works? I'll bet they had their safety people test the heck out of that concept. It's probably more dangerous to stick an emulsion blender in a simmering pot of soup.
IMO ;^)
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

OK, from the link:

"After the greasy bath, the cooking basket is raised above the oil and given a spin to reduce the amount of oil clinging to the food"

Clinging to the food, not absorbed. I still think it's a neat concept.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
Head Chef

Then again, some of us don't have a 'basket' to fry in, so this might be a neat device.
:)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Looking at the size of the device, the basket must be pretty small. If there is enough room to lift the basket above the oil surface to spin it, it must be pretty shallow. It would take you forever to fry a meal.