Salad spinner + deep fryer = ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
lol check this out. George Foreman has a new gadget:

Trimming the fat? This fryer spins it

We all know George Foreman. Some from his boxing days, but perhaps more of us know him from his role as pitchman for kitchen appliances that "knock out the fat." We were first introduced to this new wave of kitchen-counter gadgetry through the "Lean Mean Fat Fighting Machine," which channeled fat (and juices) away from meat as it cooked. Now, George is taking it up to a whole new level with the "Lean Mean Spin Frying Machine."

Distributed and marketed by Applica, the Lean Mean Fryer claims to "knock out" up to 55 percent of the fat absorbed when deep-frying foods. Using what the company calls Smart Spin technology, the fryer uses a basket that literally spins around after foods are deep-fried. And yes, there is a lid.

The two-stage process starts with a traditional fry in cooking oil. After the greasy bath, the cooking basket is raised above the oil and given a spin to reduce the amount of oil clinging to the food. Think of it as operating on the same principle as a salad spinner for drying greens--it's like that, just not quite as healthy.

Deep fried foods don't have to be a messy affair. The new Foreman fryer promises to reduce not only the hassle, but also the grease, with its ability to spin off the fat. At the very least, it seems up to the challenge to take on the old-fashioned way of deep frying, and meanwhile keeping the rest of us away from those heavyweight belts.

foremanfryer_270x227.jpg
Trimming the fat? This fryer spins it | Appliances and Kitchen Gadgets - CNET Blogs

Or, you could do like everyone else in the industry and at home does....shake the basket over the hot oil till the 'clinging oil' was it called....drips off. I imagine any coatings would spin right off, as well.

Neat concept.
I'm a shaker. Most of the oil comes off, but you can still see a nice shine to the fries (for instance). Gotta have something for the salt to cling to (lol). Back when I was a kid my mother would put the fries in a brown grocery bag and shake them. The bag absorbed a lot I remember, but I don't remember how dry the fries looked. I can see this gadget being bought, but I would be curious if it really does produce a drier fry.

What a horrible idea. Like Vera said, shaking the basket will do the job. You can also put the finished food on absorbent brown bags or paper towels.

The idea of a basket spinning attached to hot oil is insane to me. What is next? Maybe drying knives by spinning them?

If FFs are spun around, wouldn't the oil on the side of the FF opposite the side against the spinner get oil pushed into it?

"Distributed and marketed by Applica, the Lean Mean Fryer claims to "knock out" up to 55 percent of the fat absorbed when deep-frying foods."

If the oil has been absorbed, spinning the basket will only knock off the oil on the outside. The best way to prevent oil being absorbed is proper oil temperature.

I didn't click on the link, maybe they show one working, but any kind of centrifuge effect would, IMO, release more oil than it aborbs. I don't think anyone could shake the basket as fast as what that spinner will go.
And as long as the lid is down, what difference does it make if you have a single axle spinning in oil while the basket is above, or however it works? I'll bet they had their safety people test the heck out of that concept. It's probably more dangerous to stick an emulsion blender in a simmering pot of soup.
IMO ;^)

OK, from the link:

"After the greasy bath, the cooking basket is raised above the oil and given a spin to reduce the amount of oil clinging to the food"

Clinging to the food, not absorbed. I still think it's a neat concept.

Then again, some of us don't have a 'basket' to fry in, so this might be a neat device.
:)

Looking at the size of the device, the basket must be pretty small. If there is enough room to lift the basket above the oil surface to spin it, it must be pretty shallow. It would take you forever to fry a meal.

IMO, a person that is concerned enough about fat content of properly cooked, properly drained fried food to buy a spinner to rid it of some small marginal amount of additional oil, is a person who should probably not be eating fried food at all.

"Distributed and marketed by Applica, the Lean Mean Fryer claims to "knock out" up to 55 percent of the fat absorbed when deep-frying foods."

If the oil has been absorbed, spinning the basket will only knock off the oil on the outside. The best way to prevent oil being absorbed is proper oil temperature.

That's from the CNet blog, not the linked site. As pacanis quickly points out:

OK, from the link:

"After the greasy bath, the cooking basket is raised above the oil and given a spin to reduce the amount of oil clinging to the food"

Clinging to the food, not absorbed. I still think it's a neat concept.

I agree, totally neat concept and beats the heck out of being burned by flying oil when you shake not to mention those flashback to the McDonald's french fryer and all those pimples that thing caused :ROFLMAO:

Cooks up to 1.4 lbs of food, 2.6L oil Capacity
Removes avg. of 38% absorbed fat.
Locking lid.

So think about it. When the food comes out of the oil, it is wet and coated with oil.
Even shaking it will still allow some of the oil to soak into the coating.
But if it is spinning at a decent rate, that oil doesn't get to absorb.
So for those who like gadgets and like less oil, it will probably be quite a fun little
cooker.

Hey, I volunteer! Someone buy one and ship it to me and I will give it a whirl.. so
to speak!

LOLOLOL!

So think about it. When the food comes out of the oil, it is wet and coated with oil.
Even shaking it will still allow some of the oil to soak into the coating.
You are missing the step of putting the food on an absorbent material like a brown paper bag or paper towel. That will keep the oil from soaking into the coating.

The difference in the amount of oil you get off by spinning would be minuscule.

I can only imagine that spinning the food will not be good for keeping the coating on the food instead of falling off into the basket.

Well I just fixed some fries for lunch (covered with hamburger gravy, but that's another story ;)). I purposefully payed attention to my shake and drain routine.... shaking, waiting, shaking some more. You know, that's a very limited amount of space to shake that basket over, trying to keep it over the fryer. It's more of a quick aggitation you have to use. And I still got some oil/grease drips on the counter going from the fryer to my plate. And I honestly don't think vinegar would have imparted any flavor if I had decided to go that route. It would have run right off. So some kind of quick drain would be nice, especially in the same cooking appliance.

That said, 1.4 lbs of food, 1500 watts (compared to my 2.5 lb, 1800 watt Waring Pro).... that's just way to small for me. It probably has a lousy recovery time. I'd just as soon see what would happen if I dumped the fries into a salad spinner and gave them a couple spins. I mean, if I really wanted to lose that extra oil. The GF fryer weighs a lot more than my WP fryer, too. That's probably why it's on the small side and $150.

Now.... if they through in a pair of tater mitts..... :LOL:

George Foreman Spin Frying Machine

I have this product and it is amazing. After frying, it spins above the oil and throws off a lot of the fat. The food is left almost grease free, dry to touch and actually tastes much better, not at all oily. Battered shrimp and calamari are particularly good. Also fun to do battered bananas and deep fried frozen Milky Way/Mars bars!

Although it sounds a bit crazy, this is going to revolutionise the way we eat - no pun intended.

The recovery time is very good, because while the food is spinning, it's still cooking by convection - hence the oil is heated up by the time the spin finishes. Also, the shelf life of the food is a lot longer, with no oil to seep in it doesn't cool as quickly or go soggy.

Having a warming drawer, or warm oven, is handy if you're doing, say, battered fish and chips - as you'll need to do this in two stages.

Alton Brown's method is to put several thicknesses of newspaper on a sheet pan, then a cooling rack upside down on the sheet pan, then use a spider to place the fried food on the upside-down cooling rack. This allows the oil to be wicked away to the paper while keeping the food off the paper so it stays crisp. I've used this method with fish 'n chips and it worked great :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom