"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Scoop'N Grind

Has anyone tried the Scoop'N grind Handheld Mixer?

Just looking for feedback. I like the idea that you dont have to store it in a closet and it's wireless. I can just keep it in my big spoon drawer near the stove and quickly pull it out and use it as i need it. However, I was just wondering if anyone who's tried it could give me some insight.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It looks interesting but I learned the hard way not to order anything off TV. If you order that you'll be calling your credit card company negotiating charges that you had nothing to do with

I know that's not what you asked - but...

Now, back to the actual gadget - it does look like it would be useful. I'll have to look at the video to see how easy it is to clean. I'm also wary of things like this that run on batteries. When they start losing power it can be a pain!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
It looks interesting but I learned the hard way not to order anything off TV. If you order that you'll be calling your credit card company negotiating charges that you had nothing to do with

I know that's not what you asked - but...

Now, back to the actual gadget - it does look like it would be useful. I'll have to look at the video to see how easy it is to clean. I'm also wary of things like this that run on batteries. When they start losing power it can be a pain!

The only appliance i've ordered from TV was the Flavorwave deluxe . They sent me two by mistake and only charged me for one

I guess it all depends on the company. One thing i do remember about ordering from TV is that they sell your number to telemarketers and you get those annoying calls everyday.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Wish I could rub your head for luck! What I ordered was $19.99 (light-bulb should have gone off right there) and my credit card got charged 4 times with a $99.99 "membership fee" from other places

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Wish I could rub your head for luck! What I ordered was $19.99 (light-bulb should have gone off right there) and my credit card got charged 4 times with a $99.99 "membership fee" from other places

Yeah, The Flavorwave was $100. My friends birthday was the following week.
Guess what he got for his birthday?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Cook

Take a look at the unit. Since it's cordless, at best it could have 3 "D" cell batteries in the handle, it looks like two to me. 3 "D" cells gets you 4.5 volts with fresh batteries, 2 gets you 3.0 volts, not a whole bunch of juice to run anything with a motor. I'm thinking one or two good grinds and then you are going to make the battery companies rich. Even if it's rechargeable you still won't get long run time with it. It looks like frustrating trash can material to me. Also at $15 + $8 for shipping you are in the price range of a decent immersion blender from the outlet mall. Cordless is over rated. I think the Tim Taylor rule, in this instance, should be adhered to "MORE POWER".
Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillncook View Post
Take a look at the unit. Since it's cordless, at best it could have 3 "D" cell batteries in the handle, it looks like two to me. 3 "D" cells gets you 4.5 volts with fresh batteries, 2 gets you 3.0 volts, not a whole bunch of juice to run anything with a motor. I'm thinking one or two good grinds and then you are going to make the battery companies rich. Even if it's rechargeable you still won't get long run time with it. It looks like frustrating trash can material to me. Also at $15 + $8 for shipping you are in the price range of a decent immersion blender from the outlet mall. Cordless is over rated. I think the Tim Taylor rule, in this instance, should be adhered to "MORE POWER".

That's valuable info!

I was weary about the amount of power distributed from a battery operated unit. I just wanted to be certain. I will pass on buying this gadget.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Executive Chef

........and....it's right-handed..........
Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #9
Senior Cook

You know.....Looking at the title of this thread one could easily mistake it for an old dance...."Scoop N Grind"
Old 08-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
Cook

I have read too many horror stories to buy anything off of tv. That being said, I usually buy in the store when it comes out there.