SealAMeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essiebunny

Senior Cook
I just bought a SealAMeal and find it a wonderful appliance. I am thinking of purchasing some of the containers and wonder what kind of experiences you have had with them. I'd like to store potato chips, crackers, lettuce and strawberries, etc. in them.

I use a foodsaver (same kind of thing, just different name) but so far, I only use the bags. Seems like I use mine every day!

YT - it's the little machine about the size of 1/2 of a bathroom scale. It vacuums out air out of heavyweight freezer bags, then heat-seals them to preserve the food.

The marinating attachment is super duper! A roast can be marinated within minutes.

Thnx JKath, I`m with ya now :)

based upon that, I should imagine that your potatoe chips would get squashed most effectively! and so probably NOT a good idea :)

I`ve seen HDPE buckets crumble at 300 torr, your chips stand no chance! :)

I used a food saver while I was personal cheffing and I must say, simmering the pouches of food in simmering water is the most gentle, wonderful way to heat food ever!!

But, I've never worked with a seal-a-meal, so don't know if the pouches are the same quallity - if so, you are in for a great leftover treat!!

My mom had a seal a meal a long time ago. From what I remember it just sealed. it did not vacuum seal. I am not sure if they have since changed.

I'd recommend mine, the FoodSaver. You can get them many places, but I have seen them at Kohl's on sale often, and with the coupons they send, you can get them for a great deal. Also, the bags aren't expensive, considering how many you can get out of each box of 2 rolls.

The FoodSaver is absolutely great. I say it on every thread about this--I have saved enough in sealing cheese alone to pay for mine. I have had 3--first was just the vac sealer, second with all the bells andwhistles for extra containers, and then back to just the sealer. The more "extensive" one never worked properly for me--the seals just didn't hold.
But, they are available at Tuesday Morning stores for BIG discounts. I bought the one with the partial sealing feature for $34.95 (for our son)--it is usually at least $75.
They are available at good prices on Amazon.

ahh! Tuesday Morning - I've not seen them there, but makes sense!

I think the one I have originally cost the buyer around $100, but since she couldn't figure out how to use it, she gave it to me (!). All I had to do was watch the video that came with it and in 5 minutes, I was sealin' away.

I had/have the Professional model of the FoodSaver - but, I have read/heard there is now an updated model, that I don't know the name for.

My model has the button for over-riding the suction so you can 'pouch' soups and stews without sucking out the liquid. A real must feature in my opinion.

Essie - I like them! They are reusable and MUCH cheaper in the long run than using the "bags". I really wish I could find one the size of a 1 or 2 pound block of cheddar instead of having to use a much larger one!

YT - the plastic used in the "containers" (not the plastic bags) are made from a rigid plastic which will not collapse from the suction drawn from one of these units. But, I agree that drawing a full vacuum on a plastic bag full of chips/crisps will result in a bag of potato dust!

cjs - you might try this method which will allow you to vacuum seal liquid foods ... place your soup/stew/etc. into a bowl that will fit into the size bag you want to use and freeze overnight. When frozen, just knock it out of the bowl and place the frozen product into a bag and vacuum seal. I use those cheap Glad and Zip-Lock plastic containers for doing this.

Last edited:
There are a lot of little tricks for getting seals done--even with the plain pipe rack one I now have (and prefer), I can draw a partial vacuum and seal.
I wonder if the OP has a FoodSaver or a Seal-a-Meal.
As for sealing soups and stews, I just put them in ZipLocs or freezer containers and freeze. I don't waste FS bags on them, as there is no reason to do so. I do freeze my twice baked potatoes on a cookie sheet and then vacuum seal.
Oh, and about the potato chips!! If you want to see something funny, vacuum seal your newly shredded cheese!! You can re-amalgamate it!!

Last edited:
Thanks Michael, but I don't need to - as I said, I have the little button that overrides the suction and it's all done in two minutes...can't beat that!

In the early to mid '70s, I owned a Seal-A-Meal. It was by Daisy back then. I think Rival uses that name now, don't they?

It didn't vacuum, just sealed the bag shut. I used it mainly to store leftovers in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom