"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 06-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Seeking new range

Help. I am frustrated with my glass top electric range. Love cleaning it but hate cooking on it. It takes so long for the burners to cool that I am forever overcooking or burning. Am thing of going back to gas. Is there an electric range that cools down faster?

mspixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Induction is the best for what you ask.

With a glass top you have many options, and it is very similar to a flat top commercial range in that you can move your pan part way off the heat and just keep a corner of a pot heating. You can also turn the heat off and just use the residual heat to finish a dish if you know the timing pretty well.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
re seeking new range

I have a similar need and was doing some research - induction cooktops have the benefit that only the pan gets hot - there is some heat transfer from the pan back to the cooktop but the cooktop itself does not specifically heat up and so cools down very quickly. Because the cooktop does not heat up food spills do not burn on. A couple of sites you may find interesting - the first an induction intro at induction-cooktop.com and then a second one with lots of info, I forget the link, but you can find it from induction-cooktop.com

Hope this helps
macic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Master Chef
I agree with everyone else sounds like you would want an induction range. Myself I have always had gas and am very loyal to it, it was my mom that had the induction range from Amana and its ability to cool down fast was one of the things I liked about it.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
Frustrated with electric

based on everything you are saying, definitely take a look at induction cooktops. There is a useful introduction at induction-cooktop.com
macic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Senior Cook
Check out Thermador

Thermador has a really cool looking induction cooktop - almost silver looking. That will show less dirt IMHO & looks awesome. They put the expected price for most units on their website Thermador - Home Appliances - Refrigerators, Ovens, Cooktops, Ventilation, Dishwashers, Microwaves, Warming Drawers:

But, I don't think they offer induction ranges.

pugger is offline   Reply With Quote