"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I leave my racks in during self-cleaning. They are discolored but clean as a whistle. If you do leave the racks in during cleaning, they become hard to slide in and out so just coat the side rails of the rack with a light coating of oil and the problem is gone.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I take mine out and clean them. I'm going to try the oven cleaner-trash bag idea, though. That's cool!
Purrs,
Joyce

Old 06-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

to me not letting oven clean itself is right up there with having a dishwasher and not using. one of my friends does that cause one time water came up in sink.

it was new and not installed properly.

self cleaning is easy and it is sparkling.

babe
Old 06-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Ok, perhaps I am perpetuating a myth here, but I have heard that you should not use self clean if you have birds in the house. I assume that is because of gases that escape or that are created by the process (canary in the coal mine situation). I know that the substance in non-stick pans (Teflon-PTFE) can kill birds if overheated, so there may be some truth there. I don't have birds now so I am probably safe to use the self clean. Any thoughts on pet safety and self cleaning ovens?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_swinehart View Post
Ok, perhaps I am perpetuating a myth here, but I have heard that you should not use self clean if you have birds in the house. I assume that is because of gases that escape or that are created by the process (canary in the coal mine situation). I know that the substance in non-stick pans (Teflon-PTFE) can kill birds if overheated, so there may be some truth there. I don't have birds now so I am probably safe to use the self clean. Any thoughts on pet safety and self cleaning ovens?

There is no teflon in a self-cleaning oven precisely because it cannot stand the 800F-900F temperatures. If there are any fumes associated with self-cleaning, they are from the food residue you are burning off (unless you have been baking coal in the oven).
Old 06-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I leave my racks in during self-cleaning. They are discolored but clean as a whistle. If you do leave the racks in during cleaning, they become hard to slide in and out so just coat the side rails of the rack with a light coating of oil and the problem is gone.
Interesting. I think I will do that also. I usually take them out and clean but I toy with the idea of leaving them in.

No way would I clean the oven myself. I love the to hit the clean cycle every so often. Comes out great.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Ease of cleaning is much more important to me than shiny racks.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Self cleaning all the way!!!!
My Electrolux will not lock for cleaning if the racks are in.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Personally I can't justify having the oven on for hours to clean it, so I use easy off, much cheaper, yea it's a "dirty job" but cheaper in the long run to do it by hand.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm a relatively "clean" cook, so don't have to use the self-cleaning feature more than a couple of times a year. When I do, I try to do it when the weather is a bit cooler, so I can use it to heat my kitchen. Occasionally, I'll have to clean it when it's a bit hotter, but that rarely happens.

As for the racks, it's not the "shiny" aspect. I'm just following my manufacturer's directions and I also find sliding pots/pans to be much easier on racks that haven't been subjected to the self-cleaning process. In an oven in our last house, I left the racks in and regretted it. In that case, the manufacturer didn't say one way or the other about where the racks should've been during cleaning.