Self-clean oven or clean it yourself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the self-cleaning cycle - I've never had it bake anything onto the oven. I even leave the oven racks in ... so what if they are not as "bright and shiney"? Actually - I didn't notice any real difference after 6-8 cycles. But, I don't hang my oven racks on the wall for decoration ... so what's the difference?

My stove does not have a self cleaning cycle, so I have no choice in the matter. I am pretty careful about how I put things in the stove, so it does not have to be cleaned that often.

I love the self-cleaning cycle. I leave my racks in too. Just wipe it out and you're done!

For those of us without a direct kitchen vent to the outside, guess where all the cleaning fumes go? You got it...right onto your walls, carpets,etc.

I'm petitioning my HOA about finding a reputable roofing contractor for us condo owners to punch a hole in the roof for a vent. Wish me luck on that.

I used at least a 3rd of a roll of paper towels cleaning out my stove, and I had cleaned it a year before. Imagine all the gunk on those paper towlels being burned off and going out into my units walls, carpets...etc.

As for the racks...I had some hard scrubbing to do on some rails. Imagine
how much harder that carbon would be to get off if I left racks in during the cleaning cycle.

Whatever.. simply putting a sheet of aluminum foil at the bottom catches a lot of junk.

Also, my parents had to replace their stove after repeated self cleaning cycles. Why? Right under the bottom coil element stand offs, the metal
had been burned away due to repeated self cleaning cycles. There was
a hole in the metal there.

Last edited:
...I'm petitioning my HOA about finding a reputable roofing contractor for us condo owners to punch a hole in the roof for a vent. Wish me luck on that.

I used at least a 3rd of a roll of paper towels cleaning out my stove, and I had cleaned it a year before. Imagine all the gunk on those paper towlels being burned off and going out into my units walls, carpets...etc.

As for the racks...I had some hard scrubbing to do on some rails. Imagine
how much harder that carbon would be to get off if I left racks in during the cleaning cycle.

Whatever.. simply putting a sheet of aluminum foil at the bottom catches a lot of junk.

Also, my parents had to replace their stove after repeated self cleaning cycles. Why? Right under the bottom coil element stand offs, the metal
had been burned away due to repeated self cleaning cycles. There was
a hole in the metal there.

You don't have to vent through the roof. I am in a condo and vent through the wall directly behind the hood. You can also vent to the outside by putting a fan in a kitchen window if there is one.

If you leave the racks in the oven during cleaning, all the stuff is turned into ash that's easily wiped off, it's not baked on.

I have had four different ranges with self-cleaning ovens (in different homes) and never had a problem with the self-cleaning feature.

all this talk about self cleaning ovens inspired me :-p:-pto do mine. hauled out directions and was ready to go. directions said to clean door before using self cleaning part.

gonna need oven cleaner to get that off. i refuse to pay the price of easy off.

big lots has a lot of that stuff with odd ball names. do as good a job so far as i can tell. anyway no clean oven yet, but i am gaining on it.

babe

I guess I should give it a second try, I tried once and then I had to do all the cleaning so thought, what's the point of wasting electricity and end up doing it myself.

I have always self cleaned mine, and I have the feature too :ROFLMAO:! After reading this thread decided to give it a try - daaaaaaaaa no book, :ohmy: - I am clueless on the directions, how long of a cycle? Bummer

I would be very careful using the self cleaning cycle

if you have ever used oven cleaners in the oven. Oven cleaners used to specifically say NOT to use on self cleaning ovens. I would check with the manufacturer of your oven first. Some of the newer chemical oven cleaners say they are safe for self cleaning ovens but I would still check with the manufacturer first.

I have always self cleaned mine, and I have the feature too :ROFLMAO:! After reading this thread decided to give it a try - daaaaaaaaa no book, :ohmy: - I am clueless on the directions, how long of a cycle? Bummer

Figure three to four hours. During that time the oven door will be locked for safety. It will not unlock until the cleaning is done and the oven has cooled down.

You can probably find the manual for your oven online.

if you have ever used oven cleaners in the oven. Oven cleaners used to specifically say NOT to use on self cleaning ovens. I would check with the manufacturer of your oven first. Some of the newer chemical oven cleaners say they are safe for self cleaning ovens but I would still check with the manufacturer first.

I've heard that warning for continuous clean ovens because of a special non-stick coating on the oven. I have not seen it for self cleaning ovens.

I let the oven do it's automatic job of cleaning itself, but I like to use easy off on the stove top and burners.

When it gets too dirty to clean properly any longer,that's when I'll start looking for a new oven.:ROFLMAO: Sorta like I do with the fridge....:angel: The house is getting that overly lived in look..might have to put that on the market too!

More than likely, all you have to do is lock the door/mechanism, and it will time itself. It usually takes about 3 hours.

More than likely, all you have to do is lock the door/mechanism, and it will time itself. It usually takes about 3 hours.
Mine have never timed themselves. I have always had to set the times. I never had the instructions either. I think the max I have done is an hour and a half, but I really am not sure. I never knew it could take as long as 3 or 4 hours.

Mine is preprogrammed for 4 hours. That includes an hour of cool down. The time can be changed up or down as needed. I've never had to go beyond the default and haven;t tried less time. I try to clean it when I've just used the oven so it's already half way hot.

I had a self cleaning stove, but I didn't use the function often.

With my vintage Crown range, I no longer have that capability, but I won't miss it!

I found that my old oven would be clean in about

30 to 40 minutes. The first time I did it for over an hour then just kept cutting down the time and 30 to 40 minutes tops would always work. I have cleaned my new oven 2 times and both were 30 minutes. The oven is clean. I would suggest trying shorter times each time you clean. I can't imagine it taking 4 hours to clean my oven even with cool down and heat up time. My new oven doesnn't have a choice of times for the cleaning program so I just turn off the cleaning cycle after 30 minutes. I think the pre programming assumes worst case scenario and many times you don't need that.

could be wrong, but self cleaning ovens tell you not to use oven cleaners etc. They take the coating off the enamel of the oven.

A commercial range or oven has panels you can take out and power wash ... but other than that, getting down on my knees and leaning into my oven and twisting my hand in ways it is not meant to turn...self clean all the way!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom