"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I would be very careful using the self cleaning cycle

if you have ever used oven cleaners in the oven. Oven cleaners used to specifically say NOT to use on self cleaning ovens. I would check with the manufacturer of your oven first. Some of the newer chemical oven cleaners say they are safe for self cleaning ovens but I would still check with the manufacturer first.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L View Post
I have always self cleaned mine, and I have the feature too ! After reading this thread decided to give it a try - daaaaaaaaa no book, - I am clueless on the directions, how long of a cycle? Bummer

Figure three to four hours. During that time the oven door will be locked for safety. It will not unlock until the cleaning is done and the oven has cooled down.

You can probably find the manual for your oven online.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizannd View Post
if you have ever used oven cleaners in the oven. Oven cleaners used to specifically say NOT to use on self cleaning ovens. I would check with the manufacturer of your oven first. Some of the newer chemical oven cleaners say they are safe for self cleaning ovens but I would still check with the manufacturer first.

I've heard that warning for continuous clean ovens because of a special non-stick coating on the oven. I have not seen it for self cleaning ovens.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #34
Executive Chef

I let the oven do it's automatic job of cleaning itself, but I like to use easy off on the stove top and burners.

When it gets too dirty to clean properly any longer,that's when I'll start looking for a new oven. Sorta like I do with the fridge.... The house is getting that overly lived in look..might have to put that on the market too!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L View Post
I have always self cleaned mine, and I have the feature too ! After reading this thread decided to give it a try - daaaaaaaaa no book, - I am clueless on the directions, how long of a cycle? Bummer
More than likely, all you have to do is lock the door/mechanism, and it will time itself. It usually takes about 3 hours.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
More than likely, all you have to do is lock the door/mechanism, and it will time itself. It usually takes about 3 hours.
Mine have never timed themselves. I have always had to set the times. I never had the instructions either. I think the max I have done is an hour and a half, but I really am not sure. I never knew it could take as long as 3 or 4 hours.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Mine is preprogrammed for 4 hours. That includes an hour of cool down. The time can be changed up or down as needed. I've never had to go beyond the default and haven;t tried less time. I try to clean it when I've just used the oven so it's already half way hot.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #38
Head Chef

I had a self cleaning stove, but I didn't use the function often.

With my vintage Crown range, I no longer have that capability, but I won't miss it!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I found that my old oven would be clean in about

30 to 40 minutes. The first time I did it for over an hour then just kept cutting down the time and 30 to 40 minutes tops would always work. I have cleaned my new oven 2 times and both were 30 minutes. The oven is clean. I would suggest trying shorter times each time you clean. I can't imagine it taking 4 hours to clean my oven even with cool down and heat up time. My new oven doesnn't have a choice of times for the cleaning program so I just turn off the cleaning cycle after 30 minutes. I think the pre programming assumes worst case scenario and many times you don't need that.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #40
Executive Chef

could be wrong, but self cleaning ovens tell you not to use oven cleaners etc. They take the coating off the enamel of the oven.

A commercial range or oven has panels you can take out and power wash ... but other than that, getting down on my knees and leaning into my oven and twisting my hand in ways it is not meant to turn...self clean all the way!