"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There is no teflon in a self-cleaning oven precisely because it cannot stand the 800F-900F temperatures. If there are any fumes associated with self-cleaning, they are from the food residue you are burning off (unless you have been baking coal in the oven).

I was wrong about this! This is what my owner's manual says:

IMPORTANT:
The health of some birds
is extremely sensitive to the fumes given
off during the self-cleaning cycle of any
range. Move birds to another well ventilated
room.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
could be wrong, but self cleaning ovens tell you not to use oven cleaners etc. They take the coating off the enamel of the oven. ...

Checked my owner's manual and there is no mention of oven cleaner one way or the other. It recommends a soap filled scouring pad or soft scrub. The surface is porcelain enamel so it's pretty hard.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #43
Senior Cook

I guess what I had heard was correct then, since I don't have birds anymore it is not really and issue but I thought I would bring it up for the safety of other peoples pets. Thanks for checking Andy.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
could be wrong, but self cleaning ovens tell you not to use oven cleaners etc. They take the coating off the enamel of the oven.

A commercial range or oven has panels you can take out and power wash ... but other than that, getting down on my knees and leaning into my oven and twisting my hand in ways it is not meant to turn...self clean all the way!
I use the oven cleaner on the stove top, not inside the oven. It's perfectly fine to use it on the stove top, which is never cleaned when you put the oven on self-clean.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #45
Head Chef

Easy Off brand now makes an oven cleaner that says on the lable, "Safe for Self Cleaning Ovens."

I used it the other night. Works ok, not fumy at all, but takes a bit more elbow work to get some burned on spots removed.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I leave my racks in during self-cleaning. They are discolored but clean as a whistle. If you do leave the racks in during cleaning, they become hard to slide in and out so just coat the side rails of the rack with a light coating of oil and the problem is gone.
This is one of the best posts I have read on here. I am cleaning my oven now with racks in. I just wish I had realized this along time ago!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #47
Head Chef

Not in my wildest dreams could I imagine myself cleaning an oven that is self-cleaning. I cook on electric ranges and the oven cleans itself perfectly leaving a little bit of gray ash to wipe up with a paper towel. The oven heats to a maximum of 800 degrees and does a great job. I can't imagine why anyone would opt to scrub a self - cleaning oven. I too leave my racks in and spray them with Pam after cleaning.

Heres' a tip: For those who don't read the manuals take a look at yours . Most self-cleaning ovens have walls that are made of materials that will ruin if you use oven cleaner. All of my manuals said "never use oven cleaner on the oven walls or floor." I do what I'm told.