"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Self-Cleaning Gas Oven

This is my first time with a self-cleaning oven. I would like to know about other's experiences. I am afraid of having the oven going at such a high heat. My friend won't use her "self clean" feature because the one time she tried it, it set off the smoke detector. She cleans it by hand. I don't want to do that. I want to be not afraid to use the self clean feature.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a self-cleaning gas oven and have been self cleaning it for 13 years.

If the self cleaning cycle sets off the smoke detectors, it's because the oven really needed cleaning.

These ovens are made for the high heat. The temp goes up around 900 F to burn off all the spills etc and turn them to ash which wipes out with a damp cloth. If there are a lot of spills, there will be smoke. Open the windows and go for it.

If you leave the shelves in the oven, they will not be shiny bright any more but they will be cleaned.

Follow the instructions in the manual.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks! A couple days ago I cooked chicken in it and I left it in too long and there is chicken grease spattered all over the oven. I think I will try cleaning the shelves by hand before I try the self cleaning. I would rather not dull the finish on the shelves since this is a new appliance. Want to keep it shining as long as I can!

Today is a cool day, so we have the windows open anyway. How long does the self clean cycle take?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

My oven has a default setting of 4 hours but it can be set to longer if the oven is really dirty. A little grease splatter from a chicken isn't very much. I have had a banana bread spill over and fall into the oven.

You really don't have to clean it after one messy roast. Usually, if I can smell the oven when it's preheating I know it's time to clean it.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I think my manual says to take the racks out, so I do that. It takes 4-5 hours. I set it to clean overnight and then wipe it out in the morning.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My oven has a default setting of 4 hours but it can be set to longer if the oven is really dirty. A little grease splatter from a chicken isn't very much. I have had a banana bread spill over and fall into the oven.

You really don't have to clean it after one messy roast. Usually, if I can smell the oven when it's preheating I know it's time to clean it.

First I have to find the manual. LOL It's really not a "little" splatter. It looks like the chicken exploded. It definately needs cleaning. The smell of the spray oven cleaner I used to use would probably be way worse then the self cleaning. I never imagined it would take 4 hours.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

When you start the cleaning cycle, the oven door is locked closed. The oven has to heat up to temp then keep at that temp for a set time. Then it has to cool down so it's safe to open the door.

Once you clean it and see the results, you'll be happy with it.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
This is my first time with a self-cleaning oven. I would like to know about other's experiences. I am afraid of having the oven going at such a high heat. My friend won't use her "self clean" feature because the one time she tried it, it set off the smoke detector. She cleans it by hand. I don't want to do that. I want to be not afraid to use the self clean feature.
I hated the self-clean on the old cooker. Apart from the temptation to ignore the build up there's the smell when you do get round to it. My new one has lovely pristine enamelled interiors. All it needs is a wipe with a damp cloth wrung out in washing up liquid and hot water every time I use it. Gunge doesn't have time to build up so it's a two minute piece of cake.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I hated the self-clean on the old cooker. Apart from the temptation to ignore the build up there's the smell when you do get round to it. My new one has lovely pristine enamelled interiors. All it needs is a wipe with a damp cloth wrung out in washing up liquid and hot water every time I use it. Gunge doesn't have time to build up so it's a two minute piece of cake.

Mine is only a year old and it is has a very nice interior. I think a wipe-up would have worked if I hadn't had the chicken grease splatter. I cleaned the door by hand, but I think the oven is going to need the self-cleaner. It's bad.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Mine is only a year old and it is has a very nice interior. I think a wipe-up would have worked if I hadn't had the chicken grease splatter. I cleaned the door by hand, but I think the oven is going to need the self-cleaner. It's bad.

What are you waiting for? We're all waiting to hear that it came out great and you love it.

Tags
oven