Self-cleaning Ovens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdthompson

Cook
This might be a silly question but how does the self-cleaning function work on ovens? I've never quite figured it out. Is it really supposed to clean your oven and how do you use it? Thanks!

It temporarily rises the internal temperature of the oven to 500+ degrees, reducing most organic material to ash. You then simply wipe out the residue with a damp cloth rather than having to worry about soaking and scrubbing it with toxic chemicals while making a mess.

The clean function should always include a locking mechanism to prevent you from opening the door when the oven is super hot.

In fact, during the cleaning cycle the temperature in the oven is in the vicinity of 800ºF - 900º F temperature range.

You can typically choose to leave the shelves in to clean with the oven or take them out while the cleaning is going on.

If you leave them in, they will get nice and clean but will discolor. The won't be shiny bright any more.

If you take them out during cleaning, you'll have to clean them by hand.

My mom loved her self-cleaning oven. Yes, hers had a lock on it, and it cleaned on a timer. Even if she wanted to she couldn't open it until it finished. The only thing she didn't like is that we had to take the batteries out of the smoke detector nearest the kitchen whenever she used it because it always set it off. I could never have a self-cleaning oven in this house because our smoke detectors are hard-wired and would drive me crazy going off! :wacko:

If you leave them in, they will get nice and clean but will discolor. The won't be shiny bright any more.

If you take them out during cleaning, you'll have to clean them by hand.

The racks won't slide out as smoothly afterwards either, I wish I hadn't left them in, too late now.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! These are really helpful tips. Sounds like the self-cleaning feature works really well. I'll give it a try this weekend. Now I'm bummed I've been cleaning ovens the hard way all along. Oh well...better now then never.

One more question...my toaster oven doesn't have the self-cleaning option but if I run it at max temperature (which is 450 degrees), will it work the same way as my oven? My toaster oven could use a good cleaning as well.

One more question...my toaster oven doesn't have the self-cleaning option but if I run it at max temperature (which is 450 degrees), will it work the same way as my oven? My toaster oven could use a good cleaning as well.
Someone else might know more about this than me, but I would think 450 would be more likely to bake the grease and grime on. Plus you wouldn't want to run it at max temperature too long, I would think.

Time varies, depending on your oven. Mine runs for 4 hours, but it remains locked until it cools down to a safe level. I usually run it overnight.

It is a bit scary the first time. But, it works like magic.

I re-read my oven's user manual each time, and follow its instructions, to be sure because mistakes generally cannot be undone. For example, glass and ceramic faces have to be thoroughly cleaned by hand or any bits of food will bake into them permanently blackened. I take my racks out. Mine is on a timed cycle, but I never leave home from start to finish. Important also to complete the cool down cycle.

Got a quick question for Andy & Caslon...
In a recent post about SS pans, you mentioned a cleaning product, I think called barkeep's friend or something. Do you think the discolored racks might be returned to their original shine with this?

... Do you think the discolored racks might be returned to their original shine with this?

Barkeepers Friend is the product. I've never tried it but I don't think it would work.

Personally, I don't care if my racks are discolored. Even if BKF worked, I wouldn't expend the effort to polish three oven racks one rib at a time just so they're shiny.

Someone else might know more about this than me, but I would think 450 would be more likely to bake the grease and grime on. Plus you wouldn't want to run it at max temperature too long, I would think.

You're probably right. I've ran my toaster oven at 450 degrees before and I've never noticed a cleaning effect. Maybe the temperature isn't high enough. Thanks for the input!

It is a bit scary the first time. But, it works like magic.

I re-read my oven's user manual each time, and follow its instructions, to be sure because mistakes generally cannot be undone. For example, glass and ceramic faces have to be thoroughly cleaned by hand or any bits of food will bake into them permanently blackened. I take my racks out. Mine is on a timed cycle, but I never leave home from start to finish. Important also to complete the cool down cycle.

Got a quick question for Andy & Caslon...
In a recent post about SS pans, you mentioned a cleaning product, I think called barkeep's friend or something. Do you think the discolored racks might be returned to their original shine with this?

Thanks Spork! This is good to know. Our oven came with the house we purchased so we don't have the user manual. I imagine the same rules apply for all ovens so I'll be sure to clean the glass well.

Barkeepers Friend is the product. I've never tried it but I don't think it would work.

Personally, I don't care if my racks are discolored. Even if BKF worked, I wouldn't expend the effort to polish three oven racks one rib at a time just so they're shiny.

Good point Andy! I think I'll leave the racks in and use your cooking oil trick. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Spork! This is good to know. Our oven came with the house we purchased so we don't have the user manual. I imagine the same rules apply for all ovens so I'll be sure to clean the glass well.

I used Dawn Power Dissolver to clean the inside surface of the glass in the oven door. It took two applications but came out pretty good.

Do they also disable their smoke detectors so they won't be bothered by that pesky screeching?

Back
Top Bottom