"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Cook

Self-cleaning Ovens?

This might be a silly question but how does the self-cleaning function work on ovens? I've never quite figured it out. Is it really supposed to clean your oven and how do you use it? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Executive Chef

It temporarily rises the internal temperature of the oven to 500+ degrees, reducing most organic material to ash. You then simply wipe out the residue with a damp cloth rather than having to worry about soaking and scrubbing it with toxic chemicals while making a mess.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

that's how mine works but i am having trouble with the setting, time mostly. and to tell the truth i am half scared of it.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The clean function should always include a locking mechanism to prevent you from opening the door when the oven is super hot.

In fact, during the cleaning cycle the temperature in the oven is in the vicinity of 800F - 900 F temperature range.

You can typically choose to leave the shelves in to clean with the oven or take them out while the cleaning is going on.

If you leave them in, they will get nice and clean but will discolor. The won't be shiny bright any more.

If you take them out during cleaning, you'll have to clean them by hand.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom loved her self-cleaning oven. Yes, hers had a lock on it, and it cleaned on a timer. Even if she wanted to she couldn't open it until it finished. The only thing she didn't like is that we had to take the batteries out of the smoke detector nearest the kitchen whenever she used it because it always set it off. I could never have a self-cleaning oven in this house because our smoke detectors are hard-wired and would drive me crazy going off!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

If you leave them in, they will get nice and clean but will discolor. The won't be shiny bright any more.

If you take them out during cleaning, you'll have to clean them by hand.
The racks won't slide out as smoothly afterwards either, I wish I hadn't left them in, too late now.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Cook

Thanks for all the responses everyone! These are really helpful tips. Sounds like the self-cleaning feature works really well. I'll give it a try this weekend. Now I'm bummed I've been cleaning ovens the hard way all along. Oh well...better now then never.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Cook

One more question...my toaster oven doesn't have the self-cleaning option but if I run it at max temperature (which is 450 degrees), will it work the same way as my oven? My toaster oven could use a good cleaning as well.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthompson View Post
One more question...my toaster oven doesn't have the self-cleaning option but if I run it at max temperature (which is 450 degrees), will it work the same way as my oven? My toaster oven could use a good cleaning as well.
Someone else might know more about this than me, but I would think 450 would be more likely to bake the grease and grime on. Plus you wouldn't want to run it at max temperature too long, I would think.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have self clean never used it yet (new) how long does it run for ?