Shopping for a New Food Processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I've outgrown my old Cuisinart. I currently have a dual blender/food processor that was purchased with awards points from work about 12 years ago. At the time, I didn't really want or need a food processor, but it was the latest "have to have" gadget. I bought a smaller unit, thinking that it would probably sit in the cupboard collecting dust.

Turns out I was dead wrong. I actually use it a LOT. The problem is that it only has a 4-cup bowl, so if I'm making something that requires more size, I have to divide it into smaller batches to run through the little Cuisinart.

So I'm in the market for a new unit. I'm not necessarily married to the Cuisinart brand. Kitchenaid seems to be very popular as well. Other wishlist critieria:

• 10 or more cup capacity.
  • Under $250 (though I do have a little wiggle room here)
  • Easy to clean (meaning dishwasher safe) and easy to store.
  • Sturdy and reliable. This kind of goes without saying, I suppose, but the one I currently have has lasted a dozen years - though I did end up replacing the bowl top a few years back when the old one cracked. I'd like to get another that will last as long.
  • Doesn't leak liquids all over the counter. I realize you can't fill them to the top, but you should be able to fill at least half, if not three quarters, without leakage.

Any recommendations?

I've had an 11-cup Cuisinart for a dozen years and have no complaints. It came with two lids, one with a push down hopper and one plain. Also has shredding, slicing and dough blades. 11-cup is a good size because it's able to handle normal recipe quantities.

I'm a fan of Cuisinart products. They have proven to be a quality product in my experience.

I still have the first and only food processor I've ever had (Cuisinart), which was purchased the first year Cuisinart offered them. Late '70s, I think. It's been a real workhorse and it's finally beginning to show signs of its age. I've been researching newer ones and am not sure which way I want to go.

I do know that I will want a larger bowl. At the time, the one I have was the only size available but, over time, it's become too small for my needs even thought it's just the two of us now.

I'd be perfectly happy to get another Cuisinart because of the experience I've had with the one I own, but I'm intrigued by a KitchenAid model that would allow me to vary the thickness of sliced foods. That would be a great help to me because arthritis in both my hands is making it increasingly difficult for me to slice much more than small quantities of anything.

Don't have any hurry in replacing my old one, but I've been doing my homework in anticipation of the day when "old faithful" craps out.

If experience means anything, I'd recommend Cuisinart wholeheartedly. Works well (and long), easy to operate, easy to clean, no leaking bowl, etc., etc., etc.

Good luck with your quest.

Steve, you sound just like me and I came on today too ask that very question ... and it sounds like we have the same Cuisinart set-up. I had to "furnish" a house from the ground up ten years ago, and the blender/food processor seemed like the perfect thing for the right price. It is holding up good (I rarely use the blender), but I realized early on I need a larger bowl. I also would like more versatility in the blades (fine shred, coarse shed, thin slice, thicker slice).

My #1 problem, though, is that when shredding or slicing a good portion of the food winds up smushed between the blade and the cover, making a jammed up mess. Yes, mine also has a leakage problems when making sauces and dressings. I've been using a salad shooter to slice and shred, but it's about on its last legs. My $$$ is about the same too. I'm not a pro by any means. I also don't make bread, so the power to knead dough isn't and issue, either.

All suggestions appreciated.

For the most part, FPs don't handle liquids well because of leaks. The leaking is not a defect, it's the design of the FP that's not intended to handle too much liquid at once. New FPs now have a line marked on the bowl indicating max liquid level. I use a bender for sauces.

Another 11 cup Cuis, here. I have all the disks, plus the continuous feed chute attachment. I just hope it never breaks or wears out. Perfect fp for me.

I want a bigger fp as well. I think I might use a larger one more often than either of the two medium sized ones.

This is the one I use the most:

IMG_2965.JPG

It's an attachment to my immersion blender. It's great for small quantities. It's about 3" tall and just under 4.5" in diameter.

I don't think a 4 cup size is so small. Remember that anything bigger will also mean it will take up a lot more room in the dishwasher.

If you Do get bigger, I'd say get a LOT bigger, because you will still use this 4 cup size sometime.

I have five food processors. Three are cuisinart, the largest one is a Black and Decker. I got it for the capacity. I like each of them for different things. The oldest one is the best one for grating cheese...so I've kept it.

Steve Kroll said:
Are there any particular models people like or dislike?

Currently I am kind of leaning toward this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-2014N-PowerPrep-Capacity-Processor/dp/B00004WKHT/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Steve,
That is the one I got for Christmas last year it has a huge 14C bowl! Now for a sad confession......I really wanted this, but have not used it yet.......gasp!!! (Ihave a mini I have been using) In my defense DH put it on a shelf in the garage where I could not reach it. I finally pulled the ladder out and got it down last weekend. I just took it out of the box tonight! This one was puchased at Costco. I am making plans to use it soon!
Good luck with your decision.

Are there any particular models people like or dislike?

Currently I am kind of leaning toward this one...
Amazon.com: Cuisinart DLC-2014N PowerPrep Plus 14-Cup Capacity Food Processor, White: Kitchen & Dining

Steve.
I have the 14 cup stainless steel one just below the one you are looking at.
It is great The biggest thing I use it for is making bread. I have had this one for 4 years.
My first one was a 14 cup also. It lasted 22 years. I bought the same size so all my blades would fit. You would love the bigger one.
Josie

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I ended up getting this model:

FP-14DC - Elite Collection

The main reason I chose the FP-14 is because it comes with 3 bowls in 4.5, 11, and 14 cup sizes. I got to thinking about what CWS4322 said about owning more than one machine. Although I'm looking for more overall capacity, I do make a lot of things where a small bowl would be handy. For example, if I'm whipping up a cup of mayo or salad dressing, that would tend to get lost in a 14 cup machine. Since I don't have storage space for multiple machines, I'm hoping that having one machine with multiple capacities will address both needs.

Thanks again!

The main reason I chose the FP-14 is because it comes with 3 bowls in 4.5, 11, and 14 cup sizes. I got to thinking about what CWS4322 said about owning more than one machine. Although I'm looking for more overall capacity, I do make a lot of things where a small bowl would be handy. For example, if I'm whipping up a cup of mayo or salad dressing, that would tend to get lost in a 14 cup machine. Since I don't have storage space for multiple machines, I'm hoping that having one machine with multiple capacities will address both needs.

Thanks again!

Kewl.

Do you have it yet or did you order it online? What colour did you get? Be sure to tell us about it when you have had a chance to play with it.

Do you have it yet or did you order it online? What colour did you get? Be sure to tell us about it when you have had a chance to play with it.
I bought the die cast aluminum model online this morning (I didn't pay the $299 SRP price, either).

It should be here tomorrow. I can hardly wait! I'll post a follow up once I've spent some time with it.

Congrats, Steve. I think you'll love it! I was gunning for that same one last year, but my boyfriend bought me the slightly smaller 12-cup/4-cup model instead since I actually DON'T have a small army to feed. Actually, I think it came down to price since last year (when I got it) the difference in price was greater than it is this year. I think this smaller one (if you can call 12-cup capacity small!) was on promotion so it made justifying a 14-cup one much harder - not that I didn't try! :)~

Thanks again!
I don't have the storage space, either! Two live in the hall closet, the others live upstairs in the spare bedroom. At the other house (when I lived there and used the farm on weekends), the FPs lived in the basement. And yes, the smaller one is what I use for the smaller tasks.

Back
Top Bottom