"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Wine Guy

Shopping for a New Food Processor

I've outgrown my old Cuisinart. I currently have a dual blender/food processor that was purchased with awards points from work about 12 years ago. At the time, I didn't really want or need a food processor, but it was the latest "have to have" gadget. I bought a smaller unit, thinking that it would probably sit in the cupboard collecting dust.

Turns out I was dead wrong. I actually use it a LOT. The problem is that it only has a 4-cup bowl, so if I'm making something that requires more size, I have to divide it into smaller batches to run through the little Cuisinart.

So I'm in the market for a new unit. I'm not necessarily married to the Cuisinart brand. Kitchenaid seems to be very popular as well. Other wishlist critieria:

• 10 or more cup capacity.
  • Under $250 (though I do have a little wiggle room here)
  • Easy to clean (meaning dishwasher safe) and easy to store.
  • Sturdy and reliable. This kind of goes without saying, I suppose, but the one I currently have has lasted a dozen years - though I did end up replacing the bowl top a few years back when the old one cracked. I'd like to get another that will last as long.
  • Doesn't leak liquids all over the counter. I realize you can't fill them to the top, but you should be able to fill at least half, if not three quarters, without leakage.

Any recommendations?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had an 11-cup Cuisinart for a dozen years and have no complaints. It came with two lids, one with a push down hopper and one plain. Also has shredding, slicing and dough blades. 11-cup is a good size because it's able to handle normal recipe quantities.

I'm a fan of Cuisinart products. They have proven to be a quality product in my experience.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I still have the first and only food processor I've ever had (Cuisinart), which was purchased the first year Cuisinart offered them. Late '70s, I think. It's been a real workhorse and it's finally beginning to show signs of its age. I've been researching newer ones and am not sure which way I want to go.

I do know that I will want a larger bowl. At the time, the one I have was the only size available but, over time, it's become too small for my needs even thought it's just the two of us now.

I'd be perfectly happy to get another Cuisinart because of the experience I've had with the one I own, but I'm intrigued by a KitchenAid model that would allow me to vary the thickness of sliced foods. That would be a great help to me because arthritis in both my hands is making it increasingly difficult for me to slice much more than small quantities of anything.

Don't have any hurry in replacing my old one, but I've been doing my homework in anticipation of the day when "old faithful" craps out.

If experience means anything, I'd recommend Cuisinart wholeheartedly. Works well (and long), easy to operate, easy to clean, no leaking bowl, etc., etc., etc.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Master Chef

Steve, you sound just like me and I came on today too ask that very question ... and it sounds like we have the same Cuisinart set-up. I had to "furnish" a house from the ground up ten years ago, and the blender/food processor seemed like the perfect thing for the right price. It is holding up good (I rarely use the blender), but I realized early on I need a larger bowl. I also would like more versatility in the blades (fine shred, coarse shed, thin slice, thicker slice).

My #1 problem, though, is that when shredding or slicing a good portion of the food winds up smushed between the blade and the cover, making a jammed up mess. Yes, mine also has a leakage problems when making sauces and dressings. I've been using a salad shooter to slice and shred, but it's about on its last legs. My $$$ is about the same too. I'm not a pro by any means. I also don't make bread, so the power to knead dough isn't and issue, either.

All suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

For the most part, FPs don't handle liquids well because of leaks. The leaking is not a defect, it's the design of the FP that's not intended to handle too much liquid at once. New FPs now have a line marked on the bowl indicating max liquid level. I use a bender for sauces.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Another 11 cup Cuis, here. I have all the disks, plus the continuous feed chute attachment. I just hope it never breaks or wears out. Perfect fp for me.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Food Network 12 cup. 2 years and no problemo. Sal.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I want a bigger fp as well. I think I might use a larger one more often than either of the two medium sized ones.

This is the one I use the most:

It's an attachment to my immersion blender. It's great for small quantities. It's about 3" tall and just under 4.5" in diameter.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Are there any particular models people like or dislike?

Currently I am kind of leaning toward this one...
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-...pr_product_top
Old 12-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Are there any particular models people like or dislike?

Currently I am kind of leaning toward this one...
Amazon.com: Cuisinart DLC-2014N PowerPrep Plus 14-Cup Capacity Food Processor, White: Kitchen & Dining

This one looks like a bigger and newer version of mine.

Tags
food