"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 326
Shopping for a refrigerator...or a freezer

I have decided to move into a bigger apartment this next summer - most likely an unfurnished one - so I am doing some shopping now to buy a refrigerator/freezer, or possibly just a chest type freezer first. I seldom eat/buy convenience foods so my kitchen, pantry and fridge/freezer looks more like a supermarket than a person's kitchen. Everything I eat is something that I make. Ice makers and water dispensers in the door, etc do not do much for me. Those things aside, what things should I consider when I do my shopping?

__________________

__________________
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
You're putting the cart before the horse. I would never shop for an appliance before I knew how much space I had for it.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
I really like the French door-style fridge we bought several years ago; I think its a Maytag. It has side-by-side doors on top and the shelves span the width of the fridge, so you can put large items in it. We didn't get the water dispenser; the salesman said it's the part most likely to need service, and it takes up a lot of space in the door that we have for storage. I have *lots* of condiments

I like having the freezer underneath, too. I try to keep it organized so it's pretty easy to find stuff: bottom left is store-bought frozen veggies and cornmeal; bottom right is homemade frozen foods and things like herb cubes, pesto, and portioned chipotles in adobe and tomato paste; top drawer next to the icemaker is breads, pastry, and cheese. Meats are in the freezer in the sun room.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You're putting the cart before the horse. I would never shop for an appliance before I knew how much space I had for it.
I think one can do research, talk to people about experiences, and shop around before actually buying something.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,871
I'd never again have the freezer on the top and I think ice makers take up too much room, so we bought a separate ice maker we keep in the garage. It's no problem to fill up our ice container for the freezer.
I would have liked to have the French door refrigerator, but I got the single door with the freezer on the bottom for a fraction of the cost.
If you've ever had the freezer on the bottom, you'd be convinced you'd never have anything else.

For anyone interested this is where we got our portable ice maker..
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...9&BC=S&DL=SEH1
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: nyc
Posts: 53
I have a separate all fridge and all freezer. the only downside is that we don't get the cool water on the door and there is no ice maker.
__________________
Breathing Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: California's Big Valley
Posts: 810
I think doing the research now if a good idea and getting to several choices. I would wait until the move to make the actual purchase. Only you know what kind of refrigerator will work the best for your kitchen. If you are checking out things like how long will a refrigerator last, I can say that I have two 19 year old Maytags that just keep going. I like them both and use them differently. The side by side is the one that gets daily use. The freezer on top model, is for things not used often...flour, certain spices, mayo, etc.
__________________
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I really like the French door-style fridge we bought several years ago; I think its a Maytag. It has side-by-side doors on top and the shelves span the width of the fridge, so you can put large items in it. We didn't get the water dispenser; the salesman said it's the part most likely to need service, and it takes up a lot of space in the door that we have for storage. I have *lots* of condiments

I like having the freezer underneath, too. I try to keep it organized so it's pretty easy to find stuff: bottom left is store-bought frozen veggies and cornmeal; bottom right is homemade frozen foods and things like herb cubes, pesto, and portioned chipotles in adobe and tomato paste; top drawer next to the icemaker is breads, pastry, and cheese. Meats are in the freezer in the sun room.
I was rather taken with a fridge -freezer I saw on a Food Network where the fridge part was above and the freezer a drawer underneath which pulled out, (rather than a cupboard with drawers in it )and there was a light in it too. I thought this was a much better arrangement. You could see things so much more easily. Make sure that the fridge and freezer compartments have independent controls rather than a shared control (over here that usually means a more expensive appliance).
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I really like the French door-style fridge we bought several years ago; I think its a Maytag. It has side-by-side doors on top and the shelves span the width of the fridge, so you can put large items in it. We didn't get the water dispenser; the salesman said it's the part most likely to need service, and it takes up a lot of space in the door that we have for storage. I have *lots* of condiments

I like having the freezer underneath, too. I try to keep it organized so it's pretty easy to find stuff: bottom left is store-bought frozen veggies and cornmeal; bottom right is homemade frozen foods and things like herb cubes, pesto, and portioned chipotles in adobe and tomato paste; top drawer next to the icemaker is breads, pastry, and cheese. Meats are in the freezer in the sun room.

I can't believe we finally have something we agree on!!! LOL I love my french door refrigerator with the freezer drawer on the bottom. No water and ice in the door here, either.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I was rather taken with a fridge -freezer I saw on a Food Network where the fridge part was above and the freezer a drawer underneath which pulled out, (rather than a cupboard with drawers in it )and there was a light in it too. I thought this was a much better arrangement. You could see things so much more easily. Make sure that the fridge and freezer compartments have independent controls rather than a shared control (over here that usually means a more expensive appliance).
I think we're talking about the same thing. Not sure whether this is the exact model, but this is what mine is like (although mine is black): http://www.maytag.com/-%5BMFF2558VEM...68/MFF2558VEM/
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freezer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.