Should I buy? KA, opinions needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I've been in the market for a long time, not urgent but my old Sunbeam - work horse that it is, is starting to feel her age (just like me!).

So for a while I am be a Prime member at Amazon, I was bit excited to see this mixer on sale with Prime discount at $330. cdn. (reg $620.) The Artisan 5 qt.

Canadian Tire also has it on sale for $330. cdn (reg $550. :rolleyes: )

but lo'n behold further down the page Cdn Tire also has the bigger 5 qt. model with the lift bowl at $370. (from $680)

Do yo all like your KA's? do you think $50.00 bucks extra for the larger model is worth it?

Aside from the fact I could go and pick it up tomorrow - the only thing I like about the Amazon choice is the Glass mixing bowl, which for some reason is not offered here, or at least on this special.

and I can get either one in RED! :clap:

What say you all??

I love my KA, and have several attachments.

When I was married, we had the big one with the lift bowl, and now I have the tilt-head model. My ex did a lot of baking, so for her, It may have been worth it. But, for me, The cheaper model is fine.

I got mine at BB&B. It was a display version, with no box and missing dough hook and whisk. I talked the manager down to 75-bucks. Never been used, and full warranty. The dough hook and whisk were about 30-bucks total from KA.

CD

Dragn, depends upon what you'll be using your KA for really.

If this the model you're looking at :
https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K...563239798&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-5

this model above I see at $313Canadian

It has 325watts for power. I own the Pro 600 with 575watts and a 6 quart bowl. DH got me this one, oh, probably 25 years ago, I think :wacko:
And I love it! In fact I made some Banana Nut Bread with it today, and I love it for the heavier doughs too, it's a champ!

like this one
https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K...ro+600+mixer&qid=1563240361&s=gateway&sr=8-15

for $391 cdn

Buy it!! I have a 5-quart bowl lift model. It’s terrific. Go for the max power you can afford. You won’t be sorry. I’d pay the extra $50.

Kgirl, that price doesn't pop up for me on Amazon, nor is the Pro even on special.

The Pro 5 is 525 Watts, I've never seen a 6 up here but that could be as I don't usually look at those $$.

LOL - just took 3 of you to convince me and of course it's all CG's fault to begin with.

Gonna do it! Buy now, pick up tomorrow.

Well, I've 'done the deed'. Ordered, paid on-line, available to pick-up after noon tomorrow.

I love my old Sunbeam but some doughs are just too heavy for it. Or they crawled up and into the works. But the beaters have gotten mis-aligned and sometimes clack on each other and I no longer have bowls that really fit to the beaters properly. There were attachments for it back in the day but impossible or unaffordable now.

I had this since I was first married in '64 - certainly earned its' keep over the years.

Kgirl, that price doesn't pop up for me on Amazon, nor is the Pro even on special.

The Pro 5 is 525 Watts, I've never seen a 6 up here but that could be as I don't usually look at those $$.

LOL - just took 3 of you to convince me and of course it's all CG's fault to begin with.

Gonna do it! Buy now, pick up tomorrow.
I think it's a good decision! Enjoy!

Well, I've 'done the deed'. Ordered, paid on-line, available to pick-up after noon tomorrow.

I love my old Sunbeam but some doughs are just too heavy for it. Or they crawled up and into the works. But the beaters have gotten mis-aligned and sometimes clack on each other and I no longer have bowls that really fit to the beaters properly. There were attachments for it back in the day but impossible or unaffordable now.

I had this since I was first married in '64 - certainly earned its' keep over the years.

Check eBay to see what your old Sunbeam might fetch. People sometimes pay a lot for "nostalgia."

CD

dragnlaw, I saw some deals earlier, through slickdeals, where Amazon had 5 qt lift KA models for even cheaper - like $235. I clicked it off, because I just bought one - a 6 qt Pro 600, with 590w, for $268, plus taxes, and 5% extra non-member, which was still a steal. I thought that it was a used one, it was so cheap, but it wasn't! So when I saw those 5 qt KA deals for $235, that sounded about right. This was on Amazon prime, so check out slickdeals - I had never used it, until buying a book recently, but then got this deal! I just clicked off all the offers on my phone, when I saw them, but I'm sure they will still be there, if you try.

I had a 4 1/2 qt old KA, from 1976, the kind with the bowl that screws into place, and the motor lifts. I made hundreds of loaves of bread, and thousands of cookies in that, and it's still running, with my friend I gave it to! I only replaced it about 20 years ago to get the larger bowl. That one didn't really owe me anything, being 20 years old, but it's ironic that it burned out before the old one!

I noted on that thread that the new KA had a card in it, stating that the motor may shut down, if overheated, but let it sit for 20 min., and it will come back on. This is a great improvement, but I'm not sure that all of the models will have this. This was obviously a recent addition, since it was on a card.

Last edited:
dragnlaw, I saw some deals earlier, through slickdeals, where Amazon had 5 qt lift KA models for even cheaper - like $235. ^^

I had a 4 1/2 qt old KA, from 1976,^^^ I only replaced it about 20 years ago to get the larger bowl. That one didn't really owe me anything, being 20 years old, but it's ironic that it burned out before the old one!

I noted on that thread that the new KA had a card in it, stating that the motor may shut down, if overheated, but let it sit for 20 min., and it will come back on. This is a great improvement, but I'm not sure that all of the models will have this. This was obviously a recent addition, since it was on a card.

I only do a real research for an immediate deal I see. I don't have the stamina or memory to do a continual one - I fall down too many rabbit holes forgetting why and how I got there.

Yes, I had read your comment and can only hope that this investment - even though a good deal, doesn't go like car investmenst do. (cars used to last 20 years, now they only last 5)

Gads!! My Credit Card has almost been worn out these last two months. My Financial Watchdog is going to have a fit! (That's my alter ego whom I lock in a closet most times, along with my maid, butler, chief bottle washer and gardener. I have to let the maid out soon as I'm having a hard time finding my kitchen table)

:LOL: pepperhead :ROFLMAO: don't you get it? I"m a little north of you and the dollar just ain't the same anymore.

Yes, I checked out Best Buy... all the same prices.

You know they hire people just to check competitors prices - done that for years. When my son worked at Future Shop (since absorbed by Best Buy) it was the responsibility of each department to check local competitor pricing.

:LOL: pepperhead :ROFLMAO: don't you get it? I"m a little north of you and the dollar just ain't the same anymore.
It was late (when I was reading the first posts, many saying Canadian, or Cdn.), and I didn't even realize that you had ALREADY BOUGHT IT! :rolleyes:

Glad you got it! So what will be your first item to make in it?

It was late (when I was reading the first posts, many saying Canadian, or Cdn.), and I didn't even realize that you had ALREADY BOUGHT IT! :rolleyes:

Glad you got it! So what will be your first item to make in it?

Bought and paid on-line... but just leaving now to go pick it up. :D

Have no idea what I will make first. Probably jump right in with some bread. Although I love to knead by hand, my arthritis is already having a hard time keeping up with the egg carving. :ermm:

I have had numerous Kitchen Aide stand mixers. I went through a lengthy phase of lusting for, and buying, K-5A's. I believe I have bought my final stand mixer, the Pro 600 6 quart lift bowl. I knead a lot of dough and went with the recommended mixer to do that, the Pro 600. I bought a refurbished one, refurbished and sold by KA, through eBay. I paid $270, including shipping. It's beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom