"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-26-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Showtime rotisserie

I got a Showtime rotisserie for Christmas. Does anyone have any favorite rubs or marinade recipes that they are willing to share?
any helpful tips I should know? Thanks!

Old 12-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I got one a few years ago for a Christmas gift... I've only used it a few times though. I'll check with my MIL she uses her's all the time.

Old 12-26-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

Were you aware that DiscussCooking has an entire forum devoted to Sauces, Marinades, Rubs and Condiments where people discuss and share recipes for such?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks to you both.
I did see that thread but nothing about the Showtime rotisserie so decided to start up a new discussion.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Master Chef

A friend of mine has a rotisserie. One of her favorite ways to prepare chicken is to sprinkle a whole chicken inside and out with lemon pepper then truss it up and cook according to the rotisserie directions. It is so good and the chicken in very moist and tender.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Sierra, that sounds really good and easy! Thanks!
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef

How easy is the rotisserie to clean? That is the one thing that concerns me. We eat lots of rotisserie chicken, but I just buy from one of the many sources and select from the seasonings they offer. I don't want to spend longer cleaning up than it did to cook it.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I haven't used mine yet but it has a non-stick interior and they recommend using aluminum foil in the drip pan and behind the heating element to make clean up easier. I'll let you know if it works!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

my mil used one extensively in her waning years. she had become quite feeble, but was fiercely independent and still wanted to cook, so instead of taking a gamble with her using the stove and falling asleep, we bought the showtime rotisserie, mostly for the timimg/shut off feature.
it works quite well, and has a drip tray for relatively easy cleaning, but i've never made a roast that didn't spatter a little, so it does eventually rquire a more thorough, thus more difficult cleaning.
one big warning, the older models came with a steaming pan to place on top of the unit. i'm not sure if they still do. well, guess what? that also means that the top gets very hot, so you have to be careful to keep things away from the top surface. i remember a plastic bag from food shopping blew around the kitchen on a windy day, and eventually found the hot rotisserie to stick to. it took me forever to get most of it clean, but it is now stained pretty badly.
all in all, minor safety concerns aside, my mil enjoyed using it for chicken, and also used the baskets a few times to make fish.

as far as marinades or rubs, try this extremely simple rub on your next chicken. mix equal parts of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and fresh cracked black pepper, and then a few pinches of sea salt. rub all over (washed then patted dry) chicken, inside and out, and place in your rotisserie.
if you want crispier skin, massage the boid with a little olive oil, then put on the rub.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Thank you so much for all the great info Buckytom!!
Love the line from my favorite Christmas song too!