"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Cook

Question Shrimp peeler

Hello, I need help

Does anyone know about this gadget: Shrimp Butler Peeler? Does that really work? Does that really peel the prawn or just make it easier to peel?

Many thanks for your answers

Old 05-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm so used to doing shrimp myself by hand that I've never used one, although some folks must like them because they've certainly been around for a long time.

Frankly, I put them in the same boat as "strawberry hullers", "cherry pitters", etc. They take up space in your gadget drawer & might get used once in awhile, but don't necessarily make the task they're supposed to do all that much easier or economical.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, Breezy, I really like my cherry pitter! how do you do your cherries?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Cook

I must confess I'm a gadget addict

Some of them are interesting A friend of mine sent me a microplane zeste/grater. I really love it. It works pretty good .

We have a kind of small shrimps here that are really boring to peel. And I don't like to buy them peeled since I want the heads and shells to make bases for sauces .
Old 05-15-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
Executive Chef

All I've seen it do is rip the shrimp to shreds. Just grab the legs and pull them off, then open the the rest of the shell like a book. You can remove the vein with a nice, sharp paring knife, which happens to have lots more kitchen uses than a shrimp knife.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I've got a big, clunky, shrimp deveiner/peeler that I haven't used in 10 years. It wouldn't work on really small shrimp, like the 30/40's I've been buying lately. However, on big shrimp (oxymoron), like 16/20's, U/8's, etc., it would work.

I've found that my paring knife from work is excellent to peel/devein shrimp with. Just reverse the blade, so the cutting edge is up, and use the same motion you would to use a shrimp deveiner. Grab the cut shell and remove it, then pull out the digestive tract. Easy-squeezy!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
Cook

My knife skills have never made me comfortable enough to devein shrimp by hand. However, I had a shrimp peeler in my hands by the time I was six years old. The basic principle, for those who've never used one, is to slide the peeler down the back of the shrimp where the vein would be and pull the entire skin, vein and tail off in one fluid motion. Takes a little practice and yes, it's not as clean as a knife cut would be, but once you get the hang of it, you can zip through a couple pounds of shrimp in very little time. Since I grew up eating batter fried shrimp anyway, a little raggedy edge on the back didn't bother me in the least... it was covered with golden brown, deep fried goodness.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Shrimp peelers are not peelers.

They cut a strip down the back, and remove the vein or most of it anyways.
You can then just pull of the rest quickly (and save/freeze the shells for making shrimp bisque, tom yam soup or just plain old stock).

If you have more than a pound or two it really speeds up the work

Avoid the plastic ones as they don't hold up the way their metal cousins do.

The down side to these gagets is that they can't be sharpened. So much like an apple slicer once it gets dull its time to pitch it.

The one I have has different guides for different sized shrimps and is meant to fit across the rim of a bowl. The bowl trick doesn't work too great as you are best to pull the shrimp from the bottom but the gadget works.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrine
Hello, I need help

does anyone know about that gadget? Does that really work? Does that really peel the prawn or just make it easier to peel?

Many thanks for your answers

http://http://www.sharpknives.com/go...demonstrat.htm

The link that you gave for the website doesn't work.