Side by Side Fridge Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sattie said:
Corey, since you provided that info to me, I got to looking around on the web for the word mullion. It stated that if it was extremely hot to check the compressor fan. Sure enough, the fan appeared not to be working. So I bought the part and replaced the fan motor and it now works!!! Corey, again, thanks so much! Otherwise I am sure something else would have went wrong and then I would really be paying out the wha-zoo for repairs. The fan motor ran me about $65 and took me about 45 minutes to replace.

Thanks Corey, and thanks to everyone else as well!!!!!!

You all are welcome!!

I'm just glad to help!

~Corey123.

Andy M. said:
A service contract is a product appliance stores sell because they make money on it. That is, customers pay more for service contracts than what the store has to spend to honor them.

There are some products that are prone to failure and there are lemons out there, so some will benefit from a contract, overall, you will lose money on them.

I am talking about averages here. Some people benefit from having a SC and the store loses money on them. But, on the average, there is a profit to be had.

PS: Some stores buy an insurance policy or sell the contract to another provider so they have their money and don't care what happens.

Yea, I am not much for service contracts either..... I figure if I buy a quality product, then I should not have to worry to much about it. As you stated tho, there are the "lemons" out there that will burn you. I am definately not as pleased with the Kenmore brand as I once was!

:) Never buy an extended warranty either they just make moneyon it.A few years back when I was buying a new ford truck I declined an extended warranty from the salesman.The manager of the dealership called me and tried to talk me into it.I told him you just spent a week convincing me this is a great truck.So are you saying Im gonna have problems with it?Shut him up really quick.I was proud of my self since Im a girl I guess he thought I would fall for it.Still have that truck even after I got another last year and have never had a problem with.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Never buy an extended warranty either they just make moneyon it.A few years back when I was buying a new ford truck I declined an extended warranty from the salesman.The manager of the dealership called me and tried to talk me into it.I told him you just spent a week convincing me this is a great truck.So are you saying Im gonna have problems with it?Shut him up really quick.I was proud of my self since Im a girl I guess he thought I would fall for it.Still have that truck even after I got another last year and have never had a problem with.
That I would disagree with. My extended warranty saved my soul!! At the time manufacture warranties were 3 years/30,000 miles. Well, I was living in CA and knew how easily that could burn up. I purchased the extended warranty and was so glad. It covered me up to 10 years and 100,000 miles. It has saved me well and again what I paid for it on the first use. Granted, today's warranties are generally 10/100,000 but back then they weren't. Extended warranties on cars are the only things our family will buy.

I bought a one-year service contract on my Kenmore portable washer.

It was either that or pay almost a whopping $400.00 for a new transmission!!
So I chose the service contract.:ermm:

And if the machine ever comes to the point where it is unrepairable during this period, Sears will replace the machine with a comparable model of up to $500.00 for nothing!:)

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I guess either way, you buy a service contract and it may work out that it was the best thing you have ever done. But in most cases that I have experienced, I bought the contract and nothing EVER went wrong till after the contract ran out! Oh well!

That's a bummer!!

It's kind of like **** if you do and **** if you don't.

If the product breaks, then the service contract protects you from unexpected repair bills. And if the product holds up, you feel like you've wasted your money on the contract!

~Corey123.

Don't they sometimes give you the opportunity to buy a contract or pay the repair bill? It seems something we've had, that was the case.

I HAD that choice when my portable washer broke, but I bought the service contract instead, to save money.

It was going to cost me well over $400.00 to pay the repair bill, while buying the service contract only cost me about $187.00.

~Corey123.

I have a regular refrigerator with the freezer on the top but I just phoned some of my neighbors who have side by side refrigerators. They have never heard of anything being hot when they open each side.

Check with the store where you bought the side by side and see if they can give you any info.

Jill and Jolie

It should at least feel warm there.

Remember that the purpose of that it to help prevent condensation and freezing there.

My chest freezer has what is called a drywall, meaning that instead of having the coils on the back, the condenser coils are inside the cabinet and positioned around the front. sides and back. They warm the cabinet which helps prevent sweating and condensation on the outside.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
shpj4 said:
I have a regular refrigerator with the freezer on the top but I just phoned some of my neighbors who have side by side refrigerators. They have never heard of anything being hot when they open each side.

Check with the store where you bought the side by side and see if they can give you any info.

Jill and Jolie

And it should not be hot as long as everything is operating properly. Now that mine is fixed, it is only slightly warm. But before that, it was so hot that you could burn your hand on it. I would suppose that it is something that does not happen often, and even if it did, I doubt some would recognize that there is a problem. I went a YEAR before I even questioned it!

Sometimes the condenser coils on the back of your fridge can become so hot that you WILL burn yourself if you are not careful!!

This is especially noticable during startup, or after you've turned the unit off to throw away old food and clean the interior compartments. I don't know how many times I've burned myself while reaching behind the new Whirlpool unit trying to retrieve the extension cord that's behind there.

Corey123.

the mullion on my Maytag side-by-side from Sears feels hot. thanks to sattie for bringing this to my attention and to Corey for his advice.

Thank you!

How long have you had it?

I've never own a side-by-side, so I wouldn't know what it's like to have one.

~Corey123.

jeez, Corey, we've had it awhile -- 5/6 years, maybe?. I'd have to go find the manual (I keep 'em all too, but darned if I know where at the moment).

Anyhow, it seems to work fine. I like the side-by-side configuration because I think there's more room for stuff in both halves than in a traditional model.

Some companies now offer whole fridge and freezer units that match up side-by-side style. But you need a lot of room to accommodate them.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom