"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-19-2006, 01:13 AM   #31
Executive Chef

It should at least feel warm there.

Remember that the purpose of that it to help prevent condensation and freezing there.

My chest freezer has what is called a drywall, meaning that instead of having the coils on the back, the condenser coils are inside the cabinet and positioned around the front. sides and back. They warm the cabinet which helps prevent sweating and condensation on the outside.

~Corey123.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpj4
I have a regular refrigerator with the freezer on the top but I just phoned some of my neighbors who have side by side refrigerators. They have never heard of anything being hot when they open each side.

Check with the store where you bought the side by side and see if they can give you any info.

Jill and Jolie
And it should not be hot as long as everything is operating properly. Now that mine is fixed, it is only slightly warm. But before that, it was so hot that you could burn your hand on it. I would suppose that it is something that does not happen often, and even if it did, I doubt some would recognize that there is a problem. I went a YEAR before I even questioned it!

Old 09-22-2006, 04:08 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Sometimes the condenser coils on the back of your fridge can become so hot that you WILL burn yourself if you are not careful!!

This is especially noticable during startup, or after you've turned the unit off to throw away old food and clean the interior compartments. I don't know how many times I've burned myself while reaching behind the new Whirlpool unit trying to retrieve the extension cord that's behind there.

Corey123.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

the mullion on my Maytag side-by-side from Sears feels hot. thanks to sattie for bringing this to my attention and to Corey for his advice.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Thank you!

How long have you had it?

I've never own a side-by-side, so I wouldn't know what it's like to have one.

~Corey123.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

jeez, Corey, we've had it awhile -- 5/6 years, maybe?. I'd have to go find the manual (I keep 'em all too, but darned if I know where at the moment).

Anyhow, it seems to work fine. I like the side-by-side configuration because I think there's more room for stuff in both halves than in a traditional model.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Some companies now offer whole fridge and freezer units that match up side-by-side style. But you need a lot of room to accommodate them.

~Corey123.