Single cup coffee maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter's outlaws are really into the coffee brewing business by grinding cup by cup....and I admit when I'm in San Francisco I feel positively spoiled as Peet's is their favorite.........sigh.......I wish they were here now............:(

Having tried various methods of making a single cup of coffee I have come down on the side of a individual "plunger" coffee pot. The knack is not to use absolutely boiling water - give it a few seconds to come off the boil as boiling water effectively burns the coffee and spoils the flavour (effectively this is what various drip methods do).

I have the shape of electric kettle that will work with just one mugful of water so not wasteful.

The plunger method produces less waste than methods which involve pre-packed capsules. I can put my loose coffee grounds in the compost bin but the capsules have to go in landfill or be burned - neither of which are good for the environment.

Last edited:
not sure if you already found a machine yet, but I can give you some advice from our experiences.

First I know some people don't like single serving machines, but its just my wife and I that drink coffee in our home and we do so at different times, so to make a pot to us is silly...

That being said, we bought the first phillips senseo machine back about 12 years ago, and it was awesome, BUT having well water and the machine costing the whole $49.99 at target it ONLY lasted about 7 years lol.. I was happy with the purchase but when we went to replace it, we were sad to see the only thing similar still available was the Kurig. So we bought it, at a much higher price point.

Well I wish the story ended there with us being happy and satisfied about the purchase.
The coffee selection aside (maybe it didn't last long enough for us to find a cup we liked), but the machine was constantly trouble, broken, leaking, we went through 4 of them in a short time before we gave up on it..

SO where did we end up? We were at the local small coffee shop when I seen a machine they were using made by the popular bunn company, it was really nice, its called the bunn trifecta, so I know it looked expensive and I when I called the local bunn dealer it was confirmed over $2000, lol. But the call was not a total waste of time after telling him my story he said "we sell a pod brewer", so I went to their store and sure enough they did make a pod brewer.

The bunn My café machine, it comes in automatic (where you plumb it into your water supply) or pour over where you fill it up with water every few cups.. We bought the automatic one, because we have it next to the fridge so running a tee and small water hose was simple.
heres the pour over https://www.amazon.com/BUNN-Pour-Ov...id=1479155562&sr=1-8&keywords=bunn+coffee+pod
on amazon

ours is a few years old now and it works flawlessly, the coffee we buy is great, we buy the melitta pods (hazelnut crème is amazing) at coffeeforless.com, they have cuopons and email specials all the time, it is MUCH less expensive that K cups, and IT IS MUCH BETTER COFFEE...

So take a look at it, we love ours, its worth a look, buy a commercial machine and use it worry free for many years...
PS, I was also told that if we do have a problem with our machine after its warranty period, they exchange it for a remanufactured unit for $75. That sounds like a good deal to me...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom