"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Slow Cook Settings

My Rival crockpot has 4 settings: 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours and 10 hours. The 4 and 6 hour settings are labeled High and the 8 and 10 hour settings are labeled Low. If my recipe says "cook on low for 4 hours," should I put it on the 4 hour setting or just put it on the 8 hour setting and give it 4 hours there?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Is it just me, or do others also wish these appliances would do away with their low/med/hi settings?

If it was me, and I read that recipe, I would barely turn the knob above off and leave the dish cook for 4 hours. It sounds like the recipe wants low heat and a specific amount of time.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Is it just me, or do others also wish these appliances would do away with their low/med/hi settings?

If it was me, and I read that recipe, I would barely turn the knob above off and leave the dish cook for 4 hours. It sounds like the recipe wants low heat and a specific amount of time.
I agree....
On a side note, Mrs Hoot niece wanted today to know how long to cook a $15.00 roast in the crock pot. I asked if that included tax.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I agree....
On a side note, Mrs Hoot niece wanted today to know how long to cook a $15.00 roast in the crock pot. I asked if that included tax.

That's too funny. Everyone knows tax is cooked in the resting process.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I finally just let it cook 4 hours on the 8 hour setting and that worked fine. I agree re: the canned settings. Slow cookers need to be able to set the time, the temp, and the desired keep warm in any combination.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghodur View Post
I finally just let it cook 4 hours on the 8 hour setting and that worked fine. I agree re: the canned settings. Slow cookers need to be able to set the time, the temp, and the desired keep warm in any combination.
I have the Hamilton Beach with the probe, and it allows you to cook to temperature on high or low.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I have finally decided to get a slow cooker. Maybe I will eat more healthy foods if I don't have to stand over the stove. It is just too hard on my hips. So after reading the reviews on the Rival Crock Pot, I decided to go with this one. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with the little one or how to use it. But I will find out when it arrives.

This is the one I decided on. I finally decided against getting a bread maker. I don't even like bread. I just like to make it.

Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach 33258 Slow Cooker, 5-Quart: Crock Pot: Kitchen & Dining
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Actually, I like our old fashioned Rival that just has low and high - no ambiguity. No timer, nothing fancy, and I usually choose the setting by how much time I have if the recipe isn't clear.

To be honest, I don't use the Crock Pot as much as I did when I was working, because now I plan that type of meal for days when I have the time to do it in a Dutch oven, either on top of the stove or in the oven. I like the added control I get that way and I have both a standard size round one and a larger oval (don't remember the capacity of each), so I have that added flexibility too. My wife doesn't like the big one because it gets pretty heavy when we're doing something like braised short ribs for 6 or 8 people. Those are officially my days to cook.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have finally decided to get a slow cooker. Maybe I will eat more healthy foods if I don't have to stand over the stove. It is just too hard on my hips. So after reading the reviews on the Rival Crock Pot, I decided to go with this one. I have no idea what I am supposed to do with the little one or how to use it. But I will find out when it arrives.

This is the one I decided on. I finally decided against getting a bread maker. I don't even like bread. I just like to make it.

Amazon.com: Hamilton Beach 33258 Slow Cooker, 5-Quart: Crock Pot: Kitchen & Dining
Like the write up says, the little one is for warm cheese or artichoke dips and the like. I see them a lot at pot luck gatherings where someone brings a dish like tortilla chips with a nacho cheese dip.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Like the write up says, the little one is for warm cheese or artichoke dips and the like. I see them a lot at pot luck gatherings where someone brings a dish like tortilla chips with a nacho cheese dip.
Thanks. I don't think I will be going to any party, so it may just gather dust.

When I read the reviews of the Rival Crock Pot, one of the reviewers stated that she read an article that stated a laboratory found that their crock pots are made from clay that has lead in it. She immediately tossed her crock pot out. I have the feeling it was made in China. But it was enough for me to pass on it. I know that there are several layers of glaze over the pots, but If you scratch the inside, can it be enough to allow some of the lead to leech out?

Tags
cook