Slow Cooker Meat Loaf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Hello...first post here.

I made a really good meatloaf in my CrockPot a few years ago, but forget where I got the recipe. I looked up a new one, and tried making it, but it came out way to juicy, cooking in its own fat.

Does anybody know of a good slowcooker meat loaf that doesn't end up submerged in its own liquid? Thanks for the help.

I've made meatloaf in my crock-pot many times. One thing you might want to do before you place the loaf into the crock-pot is to tear off two very long strips of foil. Make lengths of the strips equal to the measurement of the inside of the pot from the top edge to the bottom, from the bottom across to the other side and up that side. Fold the foil in quarters lengthwise and place them like a + in the bottom of the pot. Put your meatloaf in and cook.

When it's time to remove the meatloaf, lift it out with the foil "slings." This way you will get the meat out of the fat/juices that accumulate in the pot as it cooked. Let the meatloaf rest a few minutes before slicing. This should help.

Have you ever used carrots/celery to keep the meatloaf out of the fat?

The foil idea is great. :)

Last edited:
Here's yet another idea!

Get a round cake rack small enough to fit inside the cooker's crock. Line it with aluminum foil, covering the whole rack with it.

Poke holes in the foil, which will allow the fatty juices to drain to the bottom of the crock. When meat loaf is done, simply lift out the rack with the loaf on it, leaving behind the unwanted juices.

I've used this technique for years doing it in the oven with a regular roasting / baking pan.

Back
Top Bottom