"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is an interesting concept.

Don't you think a heating device inside a refrigerator generating heat for 8-10 hours might raise the temperature of the entire refrigerator into the danger zone and cause or initiate spoilage in the majority of what's in there?

Then there's the impact on the temperature of the freezer...
No to mention the extra humidity added to the environment from steam......assuming the crock-pot could get up to temp in such an environment.
__________________

__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
And don't forget about the power cord that would prevent the fridge door from closing properly.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Caine - please verify that your advice about crockpot cooking in the fridge was meant to be a joke?

Otherwise, we just might have to notify your local health officials that you've definitely snapped a serious twig - lol!!!
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CHINATOWN
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I am just so tired of the self-proclaimed Food Safety Police telling me how I am going to die because I thaw frozen items on the counter instead of in the refrigerator. Everyone I have ever known thaws on the counter, their mothers thawed on the counter, and their grandmothers thawed on the counter. More than a few of these people have died, including most of the grandmothers because I am, after all, close to 60, but of those who have died, they died of the natural causes of aging , or heart disease, or cancer, one brain aneurysm that I know of, some in vehicle or industrial accidents, and a couple of their deaths were ruled as "at the hands of another." However, NOT ONE OF THEM died from eating something thawed on the counter!

Has anyone taken into consideration how long it takes for meat being cooked in a crockpot to go from the normal refrigerated temperature of, let's say 40F for argument's sake, to 140F? I would estimate that any crockpot cooked meat sits in the so-called danger zone for at least two hours. Any estimate on how many "eating crockpotted meat" deaths there are every year? Being safe is one thing, but verminophobia is something else altogether!
__________________
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I would estimate that any crockpot cooked meat sits in the so-called danger zone for at least two hours. Any estimate on how many "eating crockpotted meat" deaths there are every year?
Take a food safety course and you will learn that 2 hours in the danger zone is acceptable.

Hey Caine, what was the average lifespan 50 years ago? What is it now? Yeah i think we must have learned some things since then since people are living much longer these days. Food for thought.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I am just so tired of the self-proclaimed Food Safety Police telling me how I am going to die because I thaw frozen items on the counter instead of in the refrigerator. Everyone I have ever known thaws on the counter, their mothers thawed on the counter, and their grandmothers thawed on the counter. More than a few of these people have died, including most of the grandmothers because I am, after all, close to 60, but of those who have died, they died of the natural causes of aging , or heart disease, or cancer, one brain aneurysm that I know of, some in vehicle or industrial accidents, and a couple of their deaths were ruled as "at the hands of another." However, NOT ONE OF THEM died from eating something thawed on the counter!

Has anyone taken into consideration how long it takes for meat being cooked in a crockpot to go from the normal refrigerated temperature of, let's say 40F for argument's sake, to 140F? I would estimate that any crockpot cooked meat sits in the so-called danger zone for at least two hours. Any estimate on how many "eating crockpotted meat" deaths there are every year? Being safe is one thing, but verminophobia is something else altogether!

Your rant, while entertaining, is irrelevant. We weren't talking about thawing food on the counter.

You were advocating using a crockpot in the refrigerator! I'd bet if we could poll your anestors, NOT ONE OF THEM would have thought that was a good idea!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
elaine l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,098
Because I have to leave mine cooking longer than directed, I have learned that certain recipes can hold or stand the cooking while others can't.

And if we were talking about thawing meat on the counter which we are not, then I would have to admit that I do. Sometimes I just forget to think ahead.
__________________
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CHINATOWN
Posts: 2,314
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your rant, while entertaining, is irrelevant. We weren't talking about thawing food on the counter.
Placing cold meat in a crockpot and slowly bringing it to cooking temperature is the equivalent of thawing a frozen piece of meat on a counter. Unless you have taken the food out of the freezer and then gone on a mini-vacation instead of tending to it in order to ascertain when it has indeed thawed, it wouldn't spend any more time on the counter growing bacteria than it would in the crockpot growing bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'd bet if we could poll your anestors, NOT ONE OF THEM would have thought that was a good idea!
My mother would. She puts anything opened in the refrigerator! Have you ever tried to put refrigerated Mrs. Butterworth's on a toaster waffle?
__________________
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Wow! Reading this thread makes me very, very happy that ALL (We have quite a few.) our crock-pots are older models.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Placing cold meat in a crockpot and slowly bringing it to cooking temperature is the equivalent of thawing a frozen piece of meat on a counter. Unless you have taken the food out of the freezer and then gone on a mini-vacation instead of tending to it in order to ascertain when it has indeed thawed, it wouldn't spend any more time on the counter growing bacteria than it would in the crockpot growing bacteria.



My mother would. She puts anything opened in the refrigerator! Have you ever tried to put refrigerated Mrs. Butterworth's on a toaster waffle?

My original post was to take exception to your suggestion to run a crockpot in the refrigerator for what it would do to the food in the refrigerator. I am convinced it's not a smart idea.

I disagree that cold meat in a crockpot is the same as thawing frozen meat on a countertop. The cold meat in the crockpot would come to temperature much faster.

AFAIC, you can thaw on the counter, cook in a crockpot in the refrigerator or make ice cream in the oven.

As I don't think your suggestions in this thread are safe, I felt it important to comment.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.