Slow Cooker *might* not be as useful as I'd hoped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keltin: I did a year of a Microelectronic Engineering degree, then changed to Software Engineering. And indeed, I got a kick out of the dimmer switch... I should've thought of that:P

I've already got a 2400W-rated power timer. I'm thinking of power cycling that on and off every interval (15 minutes) for the first hour or so, or possibly the last hour. I'm thinking of trying the same when at home, using a leave in thermometer... I'll use it as an excuse to buy one with an alarm, and see if it drops below 75DegC at any time.

GB: Hrm, any advice on what does and doesn't work? I've already found out that Chicken boobs don't like the slowcooker, but Drums do... I'm guessing stewing beef doesn't care, and neither does lamb shoulder, but pork loin would HATE it?

*amy*: When I cook at night I spend about an hour in the kitchen, making dishes that require alot of attention, or prep work. I have a talent for stretching out the prep of almost any meal to an hour. Slow Cooked food is great because you just bung everything in and turn it on, but it requires lots of cooking, so can't be done at night. By preping the ingredients at night, I can just wash my prep gear with my dinner dishes (and the crock) and be done. Then the crock is stored overnight in the fridge and set up to cook the next morning.

Quadlex, you hit on all the right things. Chicken breasts (at least boneless) will not do well, but dark meat and chicken on the bone will do much better. Stew meat will do fine as will ground beef. Very lean cuts will not do as well. Grains and beans will do pretty well too.

Okay, I've been using a crock pot and working full time for 19 years (leaving at 7, never home before 6) and I'm still here. I put frozen chicken breasts, sauce of some sort, white, red, fat free Italian dressing, and spices. Put the slow cooker on between 2 and 3 and off I go. When I get home the chicken breasts are still moist and fall apart with ease.

My mother used to do spaghetti sauce in hers for 10-12 hours. My chili takes 14-16 hours. My pulled roasts 12 hours. I do it all low and slow and have never had a problem. I worship my slow cooker. I do London broil and bone in ribs too. I've tried just about everything and it has always worked out great. The best trick is just to be patient and experiment.

I just pulled out my recipe book and most of the recipes were 8 hours on medium low. You can extend the time by lowering the cooking temp. When I do sauces the sauce heats while the food defrosts. It has always worked.

keltin: I did a year of a Microelectronic Engineering degree, then changed to Software Engineering. And indeed, I got a kick out of the dimmer switch... I should've thought of that:P

I've already got a 2400W-rated power timer. I'm thinking of power cycling that on and off every interval (15 minutes) for the first hour or so, or possibly the last hour. I'm thinking of trying the same when at home, using a leave in thermometer... I'll use it as an excuse to buy one with an alarm, and see if it drops below 75DegC at any time.

I would think it more important to bring the food up to cooking temp at the normal cooking rate and do the cycling toward the end or maybe have it shut off the CP after recommended cooking time and cycle back on maybe an hour before anticipated arrival time. It taskes a long time for food in an undisturbed CP to cool to room temp and once at room temp it will be safe for consumption for several hours.

You can get an new programable CP for about $30 that cooks for the time you set then changes to keep warm setting.

Bed Bath & Beyond Product

Ron W.: I've got to do some tests... The cooker I have is cheap and seems badly insulated. I'm going to fill it with water and see how long after heating until the temperature drops.

As for the link, while I appreciate it, I'm in Australia... For some reason, Slow Cookers over here don't retail for under $50, don't come with programmable timers until $110, and don't seem to come with an option to "keep warm" at all.

Which is a pity... That particular model looks perfect. Every single thing I need, and it's not huge so I don't need to cook too much food at once. Programmable, timer, all the good stuff. Cheaper then any cooker I could get. **** this 240 volt tyranny!

Last edited:
slow cooker

I love my crock pots!! I usually do roasts which are left for well over 6 hrs (usually 8-10) on low and have never had a problem!

I'm in Australia... For some reason, Slow Cookers over here don't retail for under $50, don't come with programmable timers until $110, and don't seem to come with an option to "keep warm" at all.

Try to find the Krups FDH212 Rice Cooker/Slow Cooker. They retail for $79.99 US. All three settings, rice cooker, slow cooker, and vegetable steamer, have a keep warm function, which it will automatically switch to when the preset cooking time is complete.

I own a 1-knob Rival Slow Cooker that I've had for 30 years now - it STILL works as it did when I first got it. It's been reliable all that time.

People seem to have problems with the electronic ones, saying that the food boils in it and burns.

Back
Top Bottom