"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I agree, too, Kayelle. I don't get a metallic taste, but I rarely use my slow cooker because the food doesn't have the same flavor. Mine also has a pottery insert and a glass lid.
As a point of discussion GG, my opinion is that it's seldom unattended food cooked for hours on end without ever lifting a lid, will ever have the same quality as an attended pot with some tender loving care.

On the other hand, crock pots are a wonderful invention for those who simply can't be in the kitchen, attending to the pot. I've sure been there, but now I have little use for a crock pot.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I never really learned how to use a crockpot, I have two. One is small & the insert doesn't come out & I own a large one that does come out of the heating unit. I use it for keeping food warm during picnics or parties.

I did try a chicken recipe in it recently & I will never cook chicken in that thing again. I didn't like the texture at all.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
Master Chef

Add me to the list of people who think food cooked in a crockpot doesn't taste right. I just use mine to keep food hot at parties.

But if it has a ceramic insert the only thing I can think of is that the lid isn't sitting tightly on top of the insert or else the lid might be sitting on the metal shell. That might allow the smell of the hot metal shell to permeate the food.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I never really learned how to use a crockpot, I have two. One is small & the insert doesn't come out & I own a large one that does come out of the heating unit. I use it for keeping food warm during picnics or parties.

I did try a chicken recipe in it recently & I will never cook chicken in that thing again. I didn't like the texture at all.
I have two and use them a lot but not for things like chicken pieces and fish that don't need long cooking. I find that neither of them cook very slowly. In fact I use mine to cook pulses and at Christmas to boil the Christmas pudding. If I use them for a casserole I use shin beef and leave it in the large slices rather than cutting it into bite-sized pieces. I also cook oxtail and lamb shanks and boil joints of gammon it.

As for smell and taste, there was a slight smell the first time it was heated but never had problems with taste (and one of mine is a Crockpot).
Old 07-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I have a slow cooker and hate it! Things seem to lack flavour in my slow cooker compared to putting a casserole dish in the oven. There is definitely less evaporation of liquids in the slow cooker but reducing this down at the end doesn't seem to address the problem. I'm taking mine to the next jumble sale!