"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I didn’t thank you yet! This article was exactly what I needed to read!

Guess the crock pot gets relegated to the garage. It wasn’t anything special, anyway! Think I’ve used it twice.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Or gas grill vs. charcoal.
Seriously?

CD

Old 05-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I didn’t thank you yet! This article was exactly what I needed to read!

Guess the crock pot gets relegated to the garage. It wasn’t anything special, anyway! Think I’ve used it twice.
Slow cookers are good for keeping food warm for a crowd. That's about it.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #14
Head Chef

You can debate all you want about what is "best", but for most people, convenience is a huge factor. You can make a pretty decent meal in a slow cooker, just as you can make a pretty decent meal on a gas grill.

You can always brown meat before putting it in the slow cooker (which is commonly recommended), but some of the newer slow cookers have a saute function, so you can brown the meat first, then switch to slow cook mode.

Another factor is the amount of heat given off from an oven on a hot summer day or while the AC is running. Some use their slow cookers (or Instant Pots) during the summer for this reason.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
You can debate all you want about what is "best", but for most people, convenience is a huge factor. You can make a pretty decent meal in a slow cooker, just as you can make a pretty decent meal on a gas grill.

You can always brown meat before putting it in the slow cooker (which is commonly recommended), but some of the newer slow cookers have a saute function, so you can brown the meat first, then switch to slow cook mode.

Another factor is the amount of heat given off from an oven on a hot summer day or while the AC is running. Some use their slow cookers (or Instant Pots) during the summer for this reason.
If we're talking about flavor, then the slow cooker is not the best choice. Yes, it's convenient and if that's the goal, then great. But while you can brown before cooking with a slow cooker, it won't brown further, and the liquid won't reduce, during the cook time. That does happen when cooking in a Dutch oven and it significantly improves the flavor of the final dish.

I rarely turn on the oven in the summer. I'd do the cooking on the stovetop, so any increase in the heat output doesn't make the room uncomfortable.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Seriously?

CD
Actually, I think my comparison of gas vs. charcoal grills is pretty close to the subject at hand when it comes to the ideas of convenience and execution.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
This article was a big help, thanks! And I had a feeling that, except for the possible fire hazard, the d.o.’s the way to go.
Didn't quite get this statement. The conclusion in the article was that there is less actual hazard with the DO in the oven than there is with the slow cooker. Although there were more fires with the oven, the fact was that the oven is typically used far more than the slow cooker, and most such fires are confined to the oven. Slow cooker fires usually start on the countertop and have the potential to do far more damage.

But I agree that unless there is an actual need for using the slow cooker, the Dutch oven is a more versatile tool and just makes tastier, more appealing food.

Tags
cook, dutch oven, oven, slow cooker