"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Slow cookers with a temperature dial rather than low/high?

I'm on the hunt for a slow cooker for my brother, and he's rather specific in what he's looking for--he's after one that has a temperature dial rather than the usual low/high options, and preferably one that can go as low as ~35c so that he can use it as a water bath as well as for the standard slow cooking function. It would also be great if the inner pot could be removed and heated directly, for braising meat, but this bit isn't necessarily essential... At least he knows what he wants, I suppose!

My budget in all of this is anything up to £100, but of course if there's one out there that's cheaper... well, I won't complain!

I know they are out there, but I'm having some difficulty finding one--so I put myself in your hands to help me. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi qulen and welcome to Discuss Cooking!
This is what I've used for 25 years and it's still going strong. I love my Nesco Roaster but I don't know if you can get them for the UK. They come in larger sizes also.
NESCO® Oven Roasters, Accessories | Official Nesco.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Master Chef

Another vote here for the Nesco. Programmable temp control from a very low simmer, to roasting. I think one of our members here uses it as a water bath for apple butter, maybe she will see this and chime in.

Welcome to DC, qulen!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

The Instant Pot Smart multicooker can do all that, but the cost is closer to £140/$200USD. It has a sauté function and a stainless steel pan, so you can brown right in the cooker: http://instantpot.com/faq/instant-pot-smart/
Old 01-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Unfortunately, I couldn't find a NESCO on sale anywhere here in the UK; however I have found a company called Andrew James who offer sous vide/slow cooker combos such as this one: https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com...roductID=37619 --does anyone have any experience with these? most of the feedback that I've found online seems pretty positive!

Another question, while I'm delving into the world of sous vide machines; will it be the end of the world if my brother doesn't have a vacuum sealing machine? I know there are ways to vacuum seal bags without one (well, imperfect tricks, but ones such as immersing the bag in a bowl of water), but will these do for sous vide? Or should I be looking at getting him a cheapish vacuum sealer machine too? Thanks again!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by qulen View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions! Unfortunately, I couldn't find a NESCO on sale anywhere here in the UK; however I have found a company called Andrew James who offer sous vide/slow cooker combos such as this one: https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com...roductID=37619 --does anyone have any experience with these? most of the feedback that I've found online seems pretty positive!

Another question, while I'm delving into the world of sous vide machines; will it be the end of the world if my brother doesn't have a vacuum sealing machine? I know there are ways to vacuum seal bags without one (well, imperfect tricks, but ones such as immersing the bag in a bowl of water), but will these do for sous vide? Or should I be looking at getting him a cheapish vacuum sealer machine too? Thanks again!
It indeed would make a nice gift, but a sous vide machine is nothing like the multi purpose cooker you were/are looking for. It has only one function and yes, a vacuum sealer will be needed.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Did you look into the Instant Pot? I know it's available in the UK.

Tags
cook, slow cooker, temperature