Slow cookers with a temperature dial rather than low/high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qulen

Assistant Cook
I'm on the hunt for a slow cooker for my brother, and he's rather specific in what he's looking for--he's after one that has a temperature dial rather than the usual low/high options, and preferably one that can go as low as ~35c so that he can use it as a water bath as well as for the standard slow cooking function. It would also be great if the inner pot could be removed and heated directly, for braising meat, but this bit isn't necessarily essential... At least he knows what he wants, I suppose!

My budget in all of this is anything up to £100, but of course if there's one out there that's cheaper... well, I won't complain!

I know they are out there, but I'm having some difficulty finding one--so I put myself in your hands to help me. Thanks in advance!

Another vote here for the Nesco. Programmable temp control from a very low simmer, to roasting. I think one of our members here uses it as a water bath for apple butter, maybe she will see this and chime in.

Welcome to DC, qulen! :flowers:

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Unfortunately, I couldn't find a NESCO on sale anywhere here in the UK; however I have found a company called Andrew James who offer sous vide/slow cooker combos such as this one: https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com/UserControls/productIndividual.aspx?ProductID=37619 --does anyone have any experience with these? most of the feedback that I've found online seems pretty positive!

Another question, while I'm delving into the world of sous vide machines; will it be the end of the world if my brother doesn't have a vacuum sealing machine? I know there are ways to vacuum seal bags without one (well, imperfect tricks, but ones such as immersing the bag in a bowl of water), but will these do for sous vide? Or should I be looking at getting him a cheapish vacuum sealer machine too? Thanks again!

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Unfortunately, I couldn't find a NESCO on sale anywhere here in the UK; however I have found a company called Andrew James who offer sous vide/slow cooker combos such as this one: https://www.andrewjamesworldwide.com/UserControls/productIndividual.aspx?ProductID=37619 --does anyone have any experience with these? most of the feedback that I've found online seems pretty positive!

Another question, while I'm delving into the world of sous vide machines; will it be the end of the world if my brother doesn't have a vacuum sealing machine? I know there are ways to vacuum seal bags without one (well, imperfect tricks, but ones such as immersing the bag in a bowl of water), but will these do for sous vide? Or should I be looking at getting him a cheapish vacuum sealer machine too? Thanks again!

It indeed would make a nice gift, but a sous vide machine is nothing like the multi purpose cooker you were/are looking for. It has only one function and yes, a vacuum sealer will be needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom