Small stove dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IronSides

Senior Cook
We are looking at this great older townhouse that we love everything about except for the Kitchen. My main concern is they only have a 20" stove which seems so tiny to me. Has anyone ever had a chance to cook/bake with a stove this small? I just want to make sure it is doable before we agree to rent the place. What do you guys think?

I don't know how big your family is, but even when I was on my own with a tiny stove like this I did just fine and I did quite a bit of cooking on it. You won't be able to put as much in the oven at once, but it will be easy to adapt your meals around it once you get used to it.

Is there no room to put a bigger stove in it? Or is this a rental where you can't change anything.

As I say, it takes some thinking if you are trying to do a big dinner (Thanksgiving, etc.) but you can become creative with doing things differently. Also, maybe looking into a toaster oven will help - you can even get convection ones for a good price these days.

Good luck and have fun with it.

What I have learned is that you will adapt to your environment so to your question of is it doable my answer would be yes. It is just a matter of how much you are willing to adapt.

My brother has always lived in apartments with very small kitchens. When he lived on Beacon Hill in Boston his kitchen was so small that everything was mini. He has a mini fridge, a mini stove, a mini oven, etc. Now he lives in NY with his wife and they have a teensy little stove. They make due with it though and have put out some great food from that kitchen.

It can be done. Don't let that one thing be a deciding factor. If there are other reasons to not like the place then use this as one piece of info you make your final decision on, but don't make the final decision based solely on the stove size.

Thanks for all of the info/advice we do really like the place so I think we can make it work. I also like the idea of a toaster oven to supplement when trying to crank out bigger meals. Thanks so much guys!

Back
Top Bottom