"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
GotGarlic, how long did the shredded beef take you?
I'd guess a little over an hour. While I browned the meat, I diced an onion and peeled and minced about a tablespoon of garlic - took about 15 minutes. Then I sautéed the onion for five minutes and heated the garlic . Put the meat in, poured a mixture of half water and half barbecue sauce on top, closed and locked it, and set it on manual pressure for 20 minutes. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to come to pressure when the food is warm, then you let it release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Open the pot, shred the meat, simmer in the sauce for a few minutes, and serve.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
Master Chef

I'll also vouch for the InstaPot!!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Senior Cook

It almost negates needing a slow cooker. I do need one for stock though.

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
It almost negates needing a slow cooker. I do need one for stock though.
People make stock in the Instant Pot under pressure. Takes a lot less time and energy. I haven't yet because I like making a bigger batch than will fit in the IP.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #15
Master Chef

The stock made in an instapot is much better than that made in a slow cooker, IMO. So much faster, too.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You've sold me on the Instant Pot. Next on the list.

I've made stock in my unsmart slow cookers from rotisserie carcasses, it turns out really good, but this sounds like such a fun new toy.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The stock made in an instapot is much better than that made in a slow cooker, IMO. So much faster, too.
I make stock in my 16 quart stockpot and let it simmer for hours on the stovetop. It may take time, but it doesn't involve taking my time from anything else I have to do. It just sits there and does its thing without assistance. The only real effort is in rough chopping the ingredients before roasting them, and that would have to be done regardless.

I've never made it in my Crockpot, but I don't see how a pressure cooker can make better stock. It's more about the ingredients than it is about the pot. The key is extracting all of the flavor from the rough ingredients, but how you do it seems fairly irrelevant to me.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I make stock in my 16 quart stockpot and let it simmer for hours on the stovetop. It may take time, but it doesn't involve taking my time from anything else I have to do. It just sits there and does its thing without assistance. The only real effort is in rough chopping the ingredients before roasting them, and that would have to be done regardless.

I've never made it in my Crockpot, but I don't see how a pressure cooker can make better stock. It's more about the ingredients than it is about the pot. The key is extracting all of the flavor from the rough ingredients, but how you do it seems fairly irrelevant to me.
I still make stovetop stock sometimes but stock made in the Instapot seems clearer in appearance and clearer in taste.

I was very doubtful when other people made these claims about the IP. But the thing was on sale and I needed a new pressure cooker so I bought one and it's fabulous.

Stock is set it and forget it and done in a fraction of time as stovetop, not to mention slow cooker. And IMO its a superior stock.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

The flavor extracted by pressure cooking does seem better to me. I've only made veggie stock for butternut squash soup and it was a beautiful transparent gold color with great, clean flavor. The stews have great flavor, too.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I dropped $30 on a multi-pot at Costco six months ago, and it has basically replaced my kitchen. It makes yogurt, feh chrissake! I have a separate pressure cooker, but here's Heston Blumenthal's take on 1-hour killer chicken stock, which will take you about ten minutes to set up in your cooker.

Tags
cook, slow cooker