"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Smart Slow Cooker

I'm looking at buying a smart slow cooker - does anyone have one? Pros and cons?

When I am at work, I am typically gone 10-12 hours. My hope is to start something on low for 4 hours, set it to warm for a few hours and then back to low to finish cooking for when I get home.

I don't *think* there is a food safety issue here. I'm also not certain I'll have perfectly cooked food either, might take some practice.

Thoughts?

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Jeni,

Well I can say, I have had great luck even with a dumb slow cooker. I had one for years, I accidentally broke the crock one day cleaning it. I still don't really know why I haven't replaced it, I guess because I got the pressure cooker, and it does slightly the same things.

Anyway. I regularly used it on its one somewhat smart mode, 'autoshift' (I guess it wasn't a complete dumb slow cooker, maybe an idiot savant?) Anyway it would cook at high for four hours, and then switch to low. Other than that, high and low were the only settings.

I had no trouble whatsoever setting it up, and leaving it when I went to work. Food was pretty good, definitely better for stews and roasts (excellent for chilli for instance) or some of my favorite Irish recipes like corned beef and cabbage or coddle.

There is a bit of a learning curve, just in that you want to make sure you aren't making things that won't dry out, but with the right food, slow and long works very well.

You also might want to consider getting a pressure cooker. I adore mine and it has all kinds of settings and can act as a slow cooker (Which is come to think of it, why I never replaced my crock pot), but it also has a timer where I can have it turn on at a particular time, and thus have dinner ready. Nice thing about the pressure cooker is that you can use it as a slow cooker if you wish, but also if you need to do, say a whole chicken in a half and hour, you can set it on high pressure and do that.

TBS

Old 06-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks - I have been considering a pressure cooker. Can you do stock in them? Can you set them for an all-day slow and low dish?

I've had a dumb slow cooker for about 20 years but it died yesterday. I mostly used it for stock. But sometimes other things.

I thought I'd upgrade. I do not have a lot of storage space. I would get a pressure cooker in a heartbeat if I knew it could do the same as my slow cooker!

Posting from the app.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My "slow cooker" is only as smart as the pitt master and burns splits of wood.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
Thanks - I have been considering a pressure cooker. Can you do stock in them? Can you set them for an all-day slow and low dish?

I've had a dumb slow cooker for about 20 years but it died yesterday. I mostly used it for stock. But sometimes other things.

I thought I'd upgrade. I do not have a lot of storage space. I would get a pressure cooker in a heartbeat if I knew it could do the same as my slow cooker!
I got an Instant Pot multicooker on Cyber Monday last year, and I love it. Here's the thread I started where I talked about it: Instant Pot pressure cooker, etc.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post

I thought I'd upgrade. I do not have a lot of storage space. I would get a pressure cooker in a heartbeat if I knew it could do the same as my slow cooker!.
They vary in features, but yes, mine you can cook an all day slow-low, and they are fine for stock.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thank you!

This Instant Pot looks amazing! Lots of positive reviews too.

Instant Pot IP-DUO50 7-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker with Stainless Steel Cooking Pot and Exterior, 5Qt/900W, Latest 3rd Generation Technology

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ6VEKS..._PBWzxbCSVR0T7

More than I thought I'd spend, but it looks worth it.

Posting from the app.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm making shredded barbecued beef in it right now. I started about 20 minutes ago
Old 06-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
Senior Cook

GotGarlic, how long did the shredded beef take you?

Posting from the app.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I got my pressure cooker as a gift, and it has been a good gift. I do like Your instant pot, if I was going to pick one I would have chosen it.

I have a Power Pressure Cooker XL! (I just feel like I have to do that with an explanation point, because the Power Pressure Cooker XL! is just maximum stuff)

It has been a good appliance for me. Check out the Chicken Tiki Marsala recipe I posted. Needs a pressure cooker, but is a damn straight honest good recipe.

Best in cooking,

TBS

Tags
cook, slow cooker