"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a much less expensive option: http://seriouseats.com/2014/05/new-a...he-market.html

Old 05-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
And you need a vacuum sealer which I also do not have. So add another $100 or so dollars to the price of the Sous Vide.
Thats a big price tag for something that would be rarely used.

Now maybe I am completely wrong and it gets used all the time? I don't know? That would be my issue.
First of all, the manufacturer includes a vacuum sealer and an assortment of vacuum bags with the product. I haven't ever owned any other vacuum sealers so I can't compare, but the Sous Vide vacuum sealer is a very nice one! I use it often for purposes unrelated to the water oven.

You must have missed my OP:

Quote:
If you don't have a Seal-a-Meal you're missing something. Sous Vide makes a good sealer that comes with the "kit" above.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Yep, that's the ticket for us.

So far we have been pretty happy with it. I use a 16qt stock pot for the cooking vessel, though I have been eyeing some other options.
Trash can sous vide?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I've read of various methods to achieve sous vide cooking, in a way, by various home made and inexpensive means. I'm happy with my $400 investment.

I hope they used a new trash can......
Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

Nice link GG!! I suspect as time goes on and the novelty wears off that they will go the way of the pocket calculator.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
........ I suspect as time goes on and the novelty wears off that they will go the way of the pocket calculator.
I don't think so. People scoffed at the microwave at first, but now you don't find many kitchens without one. As an example of how ubiquitous they've become, Nathan Myhrvold even addressed microwaves in Modernist Cuisine. As more options for sous vide equipment come available, the prices keep coming down, and people can afford some of the options. More restaurants are utilizing sous vide all the time.

Unlike the OP, I use mine several times a week, not a couple times a month. It's my go-to method for almost any protein, sometimes followed by a quick sear in a hot CI skillet or a hot blast with my Home Depot blow torch. Like most of you, I've been cooking for a very long time, and I make a pretty mean steak by conventional methods. But nothing prepared me for the even perfection of my first sous vide steak! I haven't looked back. I now use it a lot more than I do all conventional methods combined.

Any kind of seafood is a natural for the sous vide method. Never dry or overcooked. No lingering smell of fish cooking for 2 days. I can prepare any kind of fish or shellfish better than anything I can get in a restaurant. Depending on the thickness & the density, 15 to 30 minutes usually does the trick - just long enough to make a salad or side and set the table. I am eating a lot more fish at home since I got my water oven.

I do differ with the OP, however, on the timing. An inch-thick steak takes about an hour, not 4 hours. Most seafood takes only 15-30 minutes. Reserve the long cooking times for tough cuts that need tenderizing. Although the beauty of sous vide is that you can leave it in the water until you're ready (it can't overcook), if you cook it for an excessive amount of time you will start to break down the tissue and it can get mushy.

Temperature is more critical than time in the sous vide process. You can make perfectly tender short ribs, cooked to medium rare. In spite of the long cook time (like a braise), you can still set your preferred temperature.

I belong to another BB where members (including a couple of pros) have been using sous vide equipment and discussing it for about 3 years now. Like me, they are converting almost all of their recipes to sous vide. The control and consistency are unrivaled.

The BBB price is actually very good for that machine, especially since they are including the sealer. And if you don't already have a sealer, you'll find a lot of other uses for it.

Last night I made sous vide shrimp in a lemon-vanilla-paprika butter sauce over avocado halves. Clean up was a breeze - just one knife to hand wash, and throw away the bag. My Sous Vide Supreme is not moving to the basement!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
Executive Chef

This type of cooking has about as much interest for me as a crock pot. But to each there own. We each choose to spend our money on cooking equipment that suits us. Some folks would call me crazy for what I'd consider spending on a smoker/pit.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Trash can sous vide?
Hadn't thought that direction but....
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Nice link GG!! I suspect as time goes on and the novelty wears off that they will go the way of the pocket calculator.
Sous vide isn't a novelty. It's a well proven cooking technique widely used in restaurants and by loads of home cooks.

It won't fade away.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Sous vide isn't a novelty. It's a well proven cooking technique widely used in restaurants and by loads of home cooks.

It won't fade away.
No, I don't think the method will fade away either. My point was that they will continue to come down in price and be more affordable. Case in point is microwave ovens and pocket calculators that once cost 10 or more times what they do now.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote