Spice Grinder vs Coffee Grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi. Can anyone recommend a burr grinder under $100 suitable for both spices and coffee?

Or is there such a thing as a spice-only burr grinder? Tks.

I wouldn't use the same grinder for coffee and spices. But I got a nice burr grinder for coffee, it's a Cuisinart.

My experience has been that if you use a coffee grinder for spices, you are going to get flavored coffee. The reverse is true with the taste of the spices.

I won't even grind flavored coffee in my coffee grinder.

My experience has been that if you use a coffee grinder for spices, you are going to get flavored coffee. The reverse is true with the taste of the spices.

I won't even grind flavored coffee in my coffee grinder.

I feel the same way, I don't mind coffee flavor in my spices, but I definitely don't want any flavor BUT coffee in my coffee.

I'm on my second Cuisinart. They are a good grinder for the money. Pricy at retail, but both mine were bought on sale.

I rarely buy whole bean, but when I do, I want a good grinder. I like it because I can adjust the grind for whatever I am wanting at the time. Espresso or drip.

My sister uses her Magic Bullet for everything. Of course, she only grinds coffee when I'm visiting and I doubt she ever ground a spice in her life. But, it can go in the dishwasher.

Nice to see so many replies. But I don't even drink coffee; I was just wondering if a burr type coffee grinder would be good for spices if there's no such thing as a burr-type, spice-only grinder.

The various grinders you mention that you use for coffee (Cuisinart, Krupps, Magic Bullet) - are they burr-type?

I sure do need help with this!

Mine is a burr-type. Sorry, your question above appeared to ask about having one grinder for coffee AND spices.

You can use a coffee grinder for spices.

We have a spice grinder. We rarely drink coffee at home and that is either expresso or Irish (Bushmills). Now if we really want a jolt, we get Colada from a local Cuban place.

Craig

Nice to see so many replies. But I don't even drink coffee; I was just wondering if a burr type coffee grinder would be good for spices if there's no such thing as a burr-type, spice-only grinder.

The various grinders you mention that you use for coffee (Cuisinart, Krupps, Magic Bullet) - are they burr-type?

While you can use a burr type grinder for spices, you don't need to. A regular blade type will work fine.

The Magic Bullit is like a mini blender, with the whirly blades.

The point of using a coffee grinder for spices is to chop them up. A burr grinder would not be the best method to do that. It would work, but it would be a more expensive way to go and you would not get as good a result as using an inexpensive blade grinder.

A burr grinder also is designed to grind more product than you normally need with spices. and they are difficult to clean. The inexpensive blade coffee grinders work much better for spices. IMO there is little difference in brands, and all are fairly inexpensive.

Andy M. said:
I have two coffee grinders. One for coffee and another for spices.

I used to have one grinder, then found mustard/fennel flavored coffee is not good. I have two Krupps whirly blades.

I bought an inexpensive burr grinder so I would be able to dedicate the whirly blade grinder to spices. Turns out the burr grinder is good for everything except espresso made with a pump (like the machines with a lever or the electric ones with an electric pump). Darn. But, the burr grinder does a much better job of grinding coffee for Bodum. Much less of that very fine stuff that goes right through the screen and into your cup.

Back
Top Bottom