Stand mixer (Kitchenaid?): New or old?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMJ

Senior Cook
Okay, both my birthday and my graduation from college are coming up within a one-month window in late July - mid August. Especially after paying for my college, my parents aren't well-off enough to get me the new motorcycle I've been eyeing, but they want to get me something nice... and I've been wanting to make my own pizza crust... so I've been thinking, how about a stand mixer?

I figure I'll probably get a KitchenAid just because they're so ubiquitous, but I'm wondering if I should get a shiny new one, or an old pre-Whirlpool commercial workhorse? It's torque, durability and versatility that really appeal to me; looks, weight and size don't matter. I'm also enough of a tinkerer that any needs for routine maintenance or lubrication requirements on an old one won't bother me.

What say ye all?

LMJ, I think from reading what people say about them on this board, and talking to folks who own them I would go for the workhorse myself. It seems they last a lifetime. And I mean that literally. I know someone who has one that is going on 30, and that sucker is used DAILY.

I love my workhorse model. I use it all of the time and I have never had an issue.. I would look for a 6qt if you can..

-Brad

I went for an older model Kitchen Model because of its durability. I did my research and was certain the Hobart 4.5 KitchenAid was the one for me. I had DH buy it for me off of Ebay about 4 years ago. I think he got it for $169.00 and it was like brand new....had only been used a couple times. I love it and cannot say enough about it.

Katie E said:
Love my older KitchenAid. I've had it for well over 25 years and it performs like new. I'm with Brad, go with at least a 6-quart size. You won't be sorry.

Likewise!!!

My 20-year-old K'Aid mixer is STILL going strong after all these years!! And yes, if anyone can get a pre-Whirlpool-made model, it would be great!

Last edited:
You might want to try shopping craigslist if they have that in your area. Often prices can be pretty good and, if it's local, you don't have to pay shipping like you do on eBay. Sometimes you can get stuff that's new and in the original box.

Big fan of craigslist here... big fan.

Katie E said:
Love my older KitchenAid. I've had it for well over 25 years and it performs like new. I'm with Brad, go with at least a 6-quart size. You won't be sorry.

Katie, I can't seem to find Hobart-era Kitchenaid models bigger than the K5. Am I missing something? :(

Try Ebay.com. Or some of the websites that sell restaurant equipment and used commercial mixers.

Last edited:
LMJ said:
Katie, I can't seem to find Hobart-era Kitchenaid models bigger than the K5. Am I missing something? :(

I don't think the Hobart-era KA mixers came any bigger than 5 qt. I had one, about 30 years old, until it died on me 18 months ago.

I want another one. Not sure when/if I'll get it, either.

If you're lucky enough to find a Hobart commercial 10-qt mixer, and the attactments for a KA 5 qt. will fit the 10 qt. mixer. It will also have the power to grind meats without stripping the gears.

Check out KitchenAid Online Store | Factory Refurbished .They sell reconditioned units at darn good prices. I think my daughters 6 qt recon'd cost about $230. last fall. You have to be pacient and wait for the color and type you wish to show up in inventory but it will.

BTW, my K5s has been on our counter for 31 years. One repair about 2 yrs ago for ~$60. I won't be returning it.

Just remember that a new Kitchenaid mixer has a warranty. A 20 year old one doesn't.

I have one of the newer models, okay so its 2 years old, got it as a wedding gift. I love that thing, though my wife never uses it, correction, never gets to use it. The attachments are fantastic too, I have the meat grinder which I have used quite a lot so far this summer, I like grinding my own meat for hamburgers, and I have the pasta accessory, I love that thing and its a lot easier to use than my hand cracked one.

And I do use my Kitchenaid for bread dough too :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom