"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Stand mixer or bread maker

Want to start doing some baking of desserts and breads. Going to shop for a stand mixer. Confused on which one to buy. Any help would be great.

gd1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by gd1972
Want to start doing some baking of desserts and breads. Going to shop for a stand mixer. Confused on which one to buy. Any help would be great.
Check out the previous posts and threads here. I don't have one, but am thinking the ol' Kitchenaid is the gold standard. Expensive, but lasts generations.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Master Chef
I agree with Dawg about the Kitchenaid.

If you have more time than money I would start checking the estate sales in your area. Some of the older workhorses are not pretty but they go for a song and they are almost indestructible.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Sous Chef
I have a Kitchen Aid. It's been a steady work horse for over 30 years probably more.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Master Chef
Count me as a Kitchenaid fan, too
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
My Kitchenaid is 18 years old and still going strong, I give it a good workout.
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Sous Chef
Kitchen Aid...and if you're not sure you're going to fall in love with baking, you might check CraigsList for a used one as a starter. Bowl lift is nicer than tilt head, imo. I started with a used K45 tilt head and horse traded up to a K5, then found a Hobart N50 in a thrift store for $7. It still cost another $200 to really dress it, but the expenditure was gradual. Welcome to DC...I'll be over by the yellow balloons.......
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
I'm the opposite of gadzooks, I hate the bowl lift and wouldn't trade my tilt head for anything. The newer KA's are not as hearty as the old ones. If you can get one that is 20+, do yourself a favor and get that one.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
The tilt head KitchenAid that makes the most sense to me is the Artisan and the biggest reason why is the comfortable tubular ergonomic handle that comes with the 5 quart Artisan bowl. Some other tilt heads have bowls with either no handle or a thin strap handle that does is difficult to grasp.

The lift bowl with the most comfortable handle is the Professional 600. Handles may not seem like a big deal until you try to work with bowl that does not have one or work with one that cannot be handled comfortably.

If you plan on making two loaf recipes of whole grain or multigrain bread, lift bowls are a more stable under the loads of kneading dough. Lift bowl are easier to handle and the bowl can be removed without removing the beater or the dough hook.

The perfect solution to the KA mixer dilemma is one tilt head and one lift bowl.
Weights of Baking Ingredients
jim262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Sous Chef
I have a cheap Sunbean mixer and it does the job for baking and whipping egg whites. Mine is over 25 years old and is going strong !!

MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote

mixer, bread