"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

does anyone know how the Cuisinart Stand Mixers compare with the KA 600?

I've heard the KA's have problems with a plastic part that breaks in the gear housing? and I don't want to purchase one until they have replaced them all with metal. so, probably next year. But in looking around this past week, my husband and I came across the Cuisinart. Looks heavy-duty with 800 or 1000 watts depending on the model.

CI doesn't even mention them in their latest testing of mixers. maybe they weren't out then?

Old 12-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

The Cuisinart Stand Mixer - though its styling is different, compares mainly with the Kenwood/Delonghi/Viking mixers.

K'Aid is said to have replaced the plastic gearcase cover with a metal one, and that by January of this year, all of them were to be modified with this part.

But I think you might do better with the K'Aid machine.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks Corey- I've wanted a KA 600 for the past two years, but have always talked myself out of spending that much. Was worried about all the people mentioning breakdowns. Hopefully, that will be fixed and on the shelves for next Christmas!!!
will probably wait until then to get one.

Cuisinart had some complaints also.
Would love to find an old Hobart one!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Apparently all the KA600's now have the metal gearcases and I think the other models are being made with them from now on. I just got the KA600 a couple of months ago and I was worried about this. I had decided if it arrived and didn't have the metal gearcase, I would return it unopened. (It says right on the box that it has the metal transmission gearcase.) Thankfully, it did and I absolutely love mine!
Old 12-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I bought the factory refurbished KA RKG25HOX from Amazon a couple months ago for $150.00 plus free shipping.Just looked mine up at the KA website and it also has all steel gears made me so happy I got the shivers.
Man I need to get a life
Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
...Man I need to get a life

No, you were just pleased to get confirmation that you got a great deal! I can't blame you.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Senior Cook

One of the problems mentioned in the reviews was the plastic box that the gears are in - even though the gears are metal, the housing/box is plastic and can soften/melt.

(oops, sorry - that was covered a couple posts ago.... too much running through my head today..)

$150 is an awesome price!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyJ View Post
Thanks Corey- I've wanted a KA 600 for the past two years, but have always talked myself out of spending that much. Was worried about all the people mentioning breakdowns. Hopefully, that will be fixed and on the shelves for next Christmas!!!
will probably wait until then to get one.

Cuisinart had some complaints also.
Would love to find an old Hobart one!

Try EBay. They might still have some.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
Having been through 2 or 3 other mixers in earlier years, (60's and 70's,) I finally got my KA and adore it. Of course it's for specific things, making fabulous batter for sponge cake, grinds my sausages, makes the best molasses or oatmeal cookies, etc. but I do many things in my Cuisinart Processor that are suited to that machine, and many other jobs in my blender that can't be done in any other appliance.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
According to KA (2007 information), the only mixers that have all Steel Gears Direct-Drive Transmission plus Soft Start are the KL26M8X (PRO LINE series), KP26M1X (Professional 600 Series) and KV25G0X (Professional 5 Plus Series), all of them bowl-lift mixers.
All of their tilt-head models, plus the K5SS (Heavy Duty) a bowl-lifter; have Direct-Drive Transmissions with Nylon Gears.