Stand Up Mixers.... which should I buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay...

My father has asked me to think of something he can get my mother for Christmas this year. I thought and thought and couldnt think of anything, until just this morning. I bet she would *love* to have one of those stand up mixers. I did a search on them and.... :ohmy:!?!?! $200-$400!!

My mom is very a very simple woman. I'm 96.5% sure she will use this if he buys it for her. (She has many appliances that she has NEVER used)

I havn't asked my dad yet what his price limit is, but i'm guessing it's around $150 or so. Plus me and my husband will probably contribute to that some.

Is it possible to get one under $200 that's still nice? And which would you recommed?

Hi, beginner. Welcome to DC.

First, let me tell you that you will do well to give you mother a wonderful stand mixer for a gift.

I have had a KitchenAid mixer for almost 30 years and I couldn't be happier. It is the best tool for making cakes, breads, etc. You can't go wrong with one of these machines. They are built well and perform just as well.

And, yes, they (any good quality machine) will be about $200. My KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when it comes to making holiday cookies, breads and other goodies. I have arthritis in my hands and suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, so my KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when I need to make bread or other
baked goodies.

Also, this machine has the capability of having attachments that do many other tasks, such as making pasta, grinding meats, juicing, etc. So, buying "just a mixer" is not necessarily the case. You would be purchasing an appliance that has a variety of uses.

Best wishes on your purchase.

Last edited:
If you're going for a KitchenAid mixer I'd recommend holding out for either the commercial or professional series mixers. My biggest criticism of the Artisan is that the bowl is too small.

If you're going for a KitchenAid mixer I'd recommend holding out for either the commercial or professional series mixers. My biggest criticism of the Artisan is that the bowl is too small.

I would have to agree that a Kitchenaid mixer would be terrific gift.

I have a KA Pro and really like it. But the bowl is actually too big for some smaller jobs. Also, it's quite a bit more that $200.

Okay...

My father has asked me to think of something he can get my mother for Christmas this year. I thought and thought and couldnt think of anything, until just this morning. I bet she would *love* to have one of those stand up mixers. I did a search on them and.... :ohmy:!?!?! $200-$400!!

My mom is very a very simple woman. I'm 96.5% sure she will use this if he buys it for her. (She has many appliances that she has NEVER used)

I havn't asked my dad yet what his price limit is, but i'm guessing it's around $150 or so. Plus me and my husband will probably contribute to that some.

Is it possible to get one under $200 that's still nice? And which would you recommed?

If your mom likes to bake bread and do big batches of stuff, definitely go for the KA pro. But if she is the occasional cake and cookie baker, I recommend the Sunbeam Heritage 450-watt stand mixer. That amount of power is actually more than most of the KAs, and it is very intuitive and simple to use. One big advantage is that with small amounts, the Sunbeam mixes the ingredients all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I had trouble with getting my KA to do that (later sold it on eBay). And because of its off-center design, it's very easy to add ingredients and to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Plus, you get two bowls -- one large and one small. And if that isn't enough, it is within your stated budget, I bought mine recently for $130, plus a mail-in rebate for $10 and an extra bowl.

I will probably be the only to make this recommendation to you, but I love my Sunbeam!!!!!!!

Hi, beginner. Welcome to DC.

First, let me tell you that you will do well to give you mother a wonderful stand mixer for a gift.

I have had a KitchenAid mixer for almost 30 years and I couldn't be happier. It is the best tool for making cakes, breads, etc. You can't go wrong with one of these machines. They are built well and perform just as well.

And, yes, they (any good quality machine) will be about $200. My KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when it comes to making holiday cookies, breads and other goodies. I have arthritis in my hands and suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, so my KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when I need to make bread or other
baked goodies.

Also, this machine has the capability of having attachments that do many other tasks, such as making pasta, grinding meats, juicing, etc. So, buying "just a mixer" is not necessarily the case. You would be purchasing an appliance that has a variety of uses.

Best wishes on your purchase.

I, also, have carpal tunnel syndrome in BOTH hands and arms, plus my left
shoulder develops excrutiating pain when beating something like a thick heavy batter, since I'm left-handed.

Like you said, THANK GOD FOR K'AID Stand Mixers!! Mine has a proven track record, as does yours. I couldn't have asked for a better machine to deal with all of the daunting tasks that I've assigned it to for all those years! LOVE my little buddy!!

Beginner_Chef;

I'd recommend the Electrolux Assistant (which I also own as well), but like you said, your father would love to stay within reasonable means for one, so for him, the EA would be far too expensive to get, costing at least $500.00. Ouch!!

If your mom doesn't mind owning one with a 4-1/2 to 5-qt. qt bowl, then either the K-45SS or the K-5SS would be a good choice. Both of them have served me well, they both still work great and are STILL available!

As for anything else, maybe a Sunbeam Stand Mixer. But their bowl(s) is even smaller - about 4 qts and 3 qts.

Last edited:
I have a Sunbean stand mixer and it is very suitable for small jobs. However, I make large batchs of bread and it is NOT suitable for that. I purchased a Bosch Universal (used) on Ebay and am happy as a pig with it. New, they are beyond your budget, I am afraid.
KA owners tell me that since Hobart sold the company to another manufacturer, the newer ones are not as sturdy as the older ones.
If your mom only does cakes and cookies and small batches of bread, then the Sunbeam is probably the ticket. I bought mine at wallyworld last February.

I have a KitchenAid artisan series mixer, and wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a bigger mixer.

Course, the only times I find the bowl isn't big enough is when I'm doing something like mashing 5 pounds of potatoes. And really, how often do I have to do that?

I have a KitchenAid artisan series mixer, and wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a bigger mixer.

Course, the only times I find the bowl isn't big enough is when I'm doing something like mashing 5 pounds of potatoes. And really, how often do I have to do that?

Depends on how often you eat mashed potatoes.

I made some the other day, but I mashed the potatoes by hand with a masher. It was for Shepard's Pie.

But yeah, like yourself, I don't make them that often either. And I never think to use one of the mixers to do it. Last time I used one was to make sugar cookie dough.

does anyone know how the Cuisinart Stand Mixers compare with the KA 600?

I've heard the KA's have problems with a plastic part that breaks in the gear housing? and I don't want to purchase one until they have replaced them all with metal. so, probably next year. But in looking around this past week, my husband and I came across the Cuisinart. Looks heavy-duty with 800 or 1000 watts depending on the model.

CI doesn't even mention them in their latest testing of mixers. maybe they weren't out then?

The Cuisinart Stand Mixer - though its styling is different, compares mainly with the Kenwood/Delonghi/Viking mixers.

K'Aid is said to have replaced the plastic gearcase cover with a metal one, and that by January of this year, all of them were to be modified with this part.

But I think you might do better with the K'Aid machine.

Thanks Corey- I've wanted a KA 600 for the past two years, but have always talked myself out of spending that much. Was worried about all the people mentioning breakdowns. Hopefully, that will be fixed and on the shelves for next Christmas!!!
will probably wait until then to get one.

Cuisinart had some complaints also.
Would love to find an old Hobart one!

Apparently all the KA600's now have the metal gearcases and I think the other models are being made with them from now on. I just got the KA600 a couple of months ago and I was worried about this. I had decided if it arrived and didn't have the metal gearcase, I would return it unopened. (It says right on the box that it has the metal transmission gearcase.) Thankfully, it did and I absolutely love mine!

:)I bought the factory refurbished KA RKG25HOX from Amazon a couple months ago for $150.00 plus free shipping.Just looked mine up at the KA website and it also has all steel gears made me so happy I got the shivers.:)
Man I need to get a life :LOL::LOL:

One of the problems mentioned in the reviews was the plastic box that the gears are in - even though the gears are metal, the housing/box is plastic and can soften/melt.

(oops, sorry - that was covered a couple posts ago.... too much running through my head today..)

$150 is an awesome price!

Last edited:
Thanks Corey- I've wanted a KA 600 for the past two years, but have always talked myself out of spending that much. Was worried about all the people mentioning breakdowns. Hopefully, that will be fixed and on the shelves for next Christmas!!!
will probably wait until then to get one.

Cuisinart had some complaints also.
Would love to find an old Hobart one!

Try EBay. They might still have some.

Having been through 2 or 3 other mixers in earlier years, (60's and 70's,) I finally got my KA and adore it. Of course it's for specific things, making fabulous batter for sponge cake, grinds my sausages, makes the best molasses or oatmeal cookies, etc. but I do many things in my Cuisinart Processor that are suited to that machine, and many other jobs in my blender that can't be done in any other appliance.

According to KA (2007 information), the only mixers that have all Steel Gears Direct-Drive Transmission plus Soft Start are the KL26M8X (PRO LINE series), KP26M1X (Professional 600 Series) and KV25G0X (Professional 5 Plus Series), all of them bowl-lift mixers.
All of their tilt-head models, plus the K5SS (Heavy Duty) a bowl-lifter; have Direct-Drive Transmissions with Nylon Gears.

Back
Top Bottom