"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Stand Up Mixers.... which should I buy?

Okay...

My father has asked me to think of something he can get my mother for Christmas this year. I thought and thought and couldnt think of anything, until just this morning. I bet she would *love* to have one of those stand up mixers. I did a search on them and.... !?!?! $200-$400!!

My mom is very a very simple woman. I'm 96.5% sure she will use this if he buys it for her. (She has many appliances that she has NEVER used)

I havn't asked my dad yet what his price limit is, but i'm guessing it's around $150 or so. Plus me and my husband will probably contribute to that some.

Is it possible to get one under $200 that's still nice? And which would you recommed?

Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, beginner. Welcome to DC.

First, let me tell you that you will do well to give you mother a wonderful stand mixer for a gift.

I have had a KitchenAid mixer for almost 30 years and I couldn't be happier. It is the best tool for making cakes, breads, etc. You can't go wrong with one of these machines. They are built well and perform just as well.

And, yes, they (any good quality machine) will be about $200. My KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when it comes to making holiday cookies, breads and other goodies. I have arthritis in my hands and suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, so my KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when I need to make bread or other
baked goodies.

Also, this machine has the capability of having attachments that do many other tasks, such as making pasta, grinding meats, juicing, etc. So, buying "just a mixer" is not necessarily the case. You would be purchasing an appliance that has a variety of uses.

Best wishes on your purchase.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you're going for a KitchenAid mixer I'd recommend holding out for either the commercial or professional series mixers. My biggest criticism of the Artisan is that the bowl is too small.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
If you're going for a KitchenAid mixer I'd recommend holding out for either the commercial or professional series mixers. My biggest criticism of the Artisan is that the bowl is too small.

I would have to agree that a Kitchenaid mixer would be terrific gift.

I have a KA Pro and really like it. But the bowl is actually too big for some smaller jobs. Also, it's quite a bit more that $200.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner_chef View Post
Okay...

My father has asked me to think of something he can get my mother for Christmas this year. I thought and thought and couldnt think of anything, until just this morning. I bet she would *love* to have one of those stand up mixers. I did a search on them and.... !?!?! $200-$400!!

My mom is very a very simple woman. I'm 96.5% sure she will use this if he buys it for her. (She has many appliances that she has NEVER used)

I havn't asked my dad yet what his price limit is, but i'm guessing it's around $150 or so. Plus me and my husband will probably contribute to that some.

Is it possible to get one under $200 that's still nice? And which would you recommed?
If your mom likes to bake bread and do big batches of stuff, definitely go for the KA pro. But if she is the occasional cake and cookie baker, I recommend the Sunbeam Heritage 450-watt stand mixer. That amount of power is actually more than most of the KAs, and it is very intuitive and simple to use. One big advantage is that with small amounts, the Sunbeam mixes the ingredients all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I had trouble with getting my KA to do that (later sold it on eBay). And because of its off-center design, it's very easy to add ingredients and to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Plus, you get two bowls -- one large and one small. And if that isn't enough, it is within your stated budget, I bought mine recently for $130, plus a mail-in rebate for $10 and an extra bowl.

I will probably be the only to make this recommendation to you, but I love my Sunbeam!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Hi, beginner. Welcome to DC.

First, let me tell you that you will do well to give you mother a wonderful stand mixer for a gift.

I have had a KitchenAid mixer for almost 30 years and I couldn't be happier. It is the best tool for making cakes, breads, etc. You can't go wrong with one of these machines. They are built well and perform just as well.

And, yes, they (any good quality machine) will be about $200. My KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when it comes to making holiday cookies, breads and other goodies. I have arthritis in my hands and suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand, so my KitchenAid mixer is my best friend when I need to make bread or other
baked goodies.

Also, this machine has the capability of having attachments that do many other tasks, such as making pasta, grinding meats, juicing, etc. So, buying "just a mixer" is not necessarily the case. You would be purchasing an appliance that has a variety of uses.

Best wishes on your purchase.

I, also, have carpal tunnel syndrome in BOTH hands and arms, plus my left
shoulder develops excrutiating pain when beating something like a thick heavy batter, since I'm left-handed.

Like you said, THANK GOD FOR K'AID Stand Mixers!! Mine has a proven track record, as does yours. I couldn't have asked for a better machine to deal with all of the daunting tasks that I've assigned it to for all those years! LOVE my little buddy!!

Beginner_Chef;

I'd recommend the Electrolux Assistant (which I also own as well), but like you said, your father would love to stay within reasonable means for one, so for him, the EA would be far too expensive to get, costing at least $500.00. Ouch!!

If your mom doesn't mind owning one with a 4-1/2 to 5-qt. qt bowl, then either the K-45SS or the K-5SS would be a good choice. Both of them have served me well, they both still work great and are STILL available!

As for anything else, maybe a Sunbeam Stand Mixer. But their bowl(s) is even smaller - about 4 qts and 3 qts.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I have a Sunbean stand mixer and it is very suitable for small jobs. However, I make large batchs of bread and it is NOT suitable for that. I purchased a Bosch Universal (used) on Ebay and am happy as a pig with it. New, they are beyond your budget, I am afraid.
KA owners tell me that since Hobart sold the company to another manufacturer, the newer ones are not as sturdy as the older ones.
If your mom only does cakes and cookies and small batches of bread, then the Sunbeam is probably the ticket. I bought mine at wallyworld last February.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Whirlpool bought the K'Aid division from Hobart.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I have a KitchenAid artisan series mixer, and wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a bigger mixer.

Course, the only times I find the bowl isn't big enough is when I'm doing something like mashing 5 pounds of potatoes. And really, how often do I have to do that?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
I have a KitchenAid artisan series mixer, and wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a bigger mixer.

Course, the only times I find the bowl isn't big enough is when I'm doing something like mashing 5 pounds of potatoes. And really, how often do I have to do that?

Depends on how often you eat mashed potatoes.

I made some the other day, but I mashed the potatoes by hand with a masher. It was for Shepard's Pie.

But yeah, like yourself, I don't make them that often either. And I never think to use one of the mixers to do it. Last time I used one was to make sugar cookie dough.