"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-03-2006, 05:27 AM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Wish I had the braun one. :-) Very nice!!! I have a cheapie one that looks like the Braun, but the bottom part doesn't come off to wash seperately. I do what GB does, I get a glass of water w/a touch of dw soap and wizz away. Perfect!!!

BTW, they are GREAT for making EGG NOGS. Stupid me didn't think to use it for gravy, but that's a great idea, thanks :-) Anyone else have any great ideas? Sometimes, I only need that one little push for the light to go on. LOL

Old 11-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I tried it once to smooth out tomato sauce. It turned it orange! The blender whips so many bubbles into the liquid, it changes the color.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I tried it once to smooth out tomato sauce. It turned it orange! The blender whips so many bubbles into the liquid, it changes the color.
I use mine for roasted tomato sauce and that hasn't happened to me--nice smooth red.
It's not all that hard to keep the bottom in the liquid--and it is definitely more convenient than pouring stuff into the FP!!
And I am a bit with Licia--all of a sudden I slap myself up side head and say--USE the BRAUN, stupid!!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I have a Braun, it came with a whisk, which I used for the first time yesterday and was really impressed with it, and a grinder thingie, which I haven't used as yet. I love it. My mother always had Bamix, which are great, but incredibly expensive and I think that the Braun is just as good.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
...It's not all that hard to keep the bottom in the liquid--...

You're absolutely right! I discovered a long time ago that if you don't keep it in the liquid, you have a lot of added cleaning to do.

However, that was not the problem. I keep the head of the blender under and still get a change in color.

Perhaps with your roasted tomato sauce, which would be even a darker red to start, the change is not as obvious.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #36
Sous Chef

The L.A. Times food section often includes an article in which a group of kitchen experts rate different brands of a specified gadget or appliance. A while ago they examined stick blenders and concluded that the Kitchenaid was superior in design and performance. If I recall correctly, the reviewers touted KitchenAid's larger size to be a plus for an immersion hand blender. We purchased one based on their comments and have been very happy with it. We've used it for soups, sauces, even milkshakes. We even used it to make fresh bread crumbs, which came out a bit finer than we had wanted but still perfectly okay.

Here's a link to the same article that appeared in the AJC and was later posted on GardenWeb.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #37
Everymom

I'm with kyles, I have a Braun and I love it.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I love mine - I think it's a Braun. It's an old one that doesn't come apart. I use the hot water and a bit of dish soap in a glass to clean it.

If anything happened to it I would definitely get another one. I don't think I would want a batter-operated one though. The cord doesn't get in my way (but I have outlets all around my kitchen). I don't want to have to worry about keeping it charged.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I did just that with a batch of hot pepper sauce.
Then I remembered that it should be blended FIRST and cooked AFTERWARDS, which maintains the colour.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

You're right, clive. Lessons learned.