"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Question Stick Blender Recommendations

I must have one of these things! What brand/model would you recommend? Attachments or no attachments? Any other advice before I buy?

Thank you!
Corinne

Old 04-02-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Master Chef

Personally, I never had any luck with these things for some reason. I always seemed to make a huge mess. I threw mine in the rummage and rely on my food processor instead.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I just picked a cheap one up at Wal-Mart...I can't put it down...I take it to work, use it at home!!!!
I'm looking for bigger and better!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Cuisinart.

I bought one years ago, and it STILL works as though it was new!

~Corey123.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I have a Braun ma430 "multiquik" and I love it! It came with a chopper attachment and a whisk in addition to the blender. I have NEVER used the other pieces, only the blender.
Sis-in-law was over last wekend and she was making a gravy while I was tossin' lettuce 'round the mater bowl~ an I noticed she was getting frustrated cuz there were a buncha fat globules in her mix that she just couldn't get to play along...I grabbed the Braun from a cabinet...which of course was met with an assortment of hoots and laffs from assembled onlookers who love to chide me for having a "gadget for every job"! I tilted her saute' pan, inserted the magic swizzle stick and ran it for three (3) seconds and I was done. Popped the blender head off, tossed it in the DW. The silly jests turned to a couple of sincere 'wow's. The fat molecules were now fully assimilated and playing well with others. She went on to finish her gravy and I resumed catching flying veggies in a bowl.
Obviously, I wouldn't suggest paying for attachments. The device is well designed for the blender task but a poor compromise for others. Although I admit that I haven't actually tried it, my observation would be that the RPMs are much too high for the whisk ~picturing a Lucy-level mess here~ and the tiny high speed motor would, I'm sure, be far too weak to serve chopper duty.
Ricky
(nufsed)
Old 04-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Yes, I forgot to mention that mine can be used to make non-fat whipped topping just by using skimmed or 1% milk.

~Corey123.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a Braun as well. The key feature for me is the removable stick. You just twist it off the motor end and toss it into the DW. So easy.

I also got some attachments with it and never use them.

This is my second stick blender. I burned out the first one and decided that these were going to be disposable tools for me. As a result, I bought the Braun for $20. at Costco and won't shed a tear when I have to chuck it and get a new one.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:42 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Personally, I never had any luck with these things for some reason. I always seemed to make a huge mess. I threw mine in the rummage and rely on my food processor instead.

The main key to using any one of these units is that you MUST keep the blades submerged in the liquid, or you will end up with the huge mess that you speak of.

At least halfway up the shaft. I think you should try it again and see if it isn't true for you as well.

Get a cheapy one to start with, then as you gain comfort and confidence, you can expand your experience to master this tool like a seasoned pro.

~Corey123.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I think mine is a Braun as well, but I am not 100% sure about that. Mine twists off like Andy's and I love that feature. It came with a number of attachments, but the only one I have ever used is the whisk. I would not spend extra money on attachments, but if the one you are looking at happens to come with them then that is fine.

Mine is a corded unit. That makes it a little tricky for me because I only have outlets on one side of my kitchen. There are none by the stove so I need to bring the pot over to the other side of the kitchen. If I were buying a new stick blender I might consider a battery operated or rechargable one, but I would not rule out another corded model.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I have a braun. so does my sis. both have worked well for years. THere are some very expensive ones out there but I don't think you need pay more than $50 at most for a good one.