Stick Blender Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally, I never had any luck with these things for some reason. I always seemed to make a huge mess. I threw mine in the rummage and rely on my food processor instead.

I just picked a cheap one up at Wal-Mart...I can't put it down...I take it to work, use it at home!!!!
I'm looking for bigger and better!!!

I have a Braun ma430 "multiquik" and I love it! It came with a chopper attachment and a whisk in addition to the blender. I have NEVER used the other pieces, only the blender.
Sis-in-law was over last wekend and she was making a gravy while I was tossin' lettuce 'round the mater bowl~ an I noticed she was getting frustrated cuz there were a buncha fat globules in her mix that she just couldn't get to play along...I grabbed the Braun from a cabinet...which of course was met with an assortment of hoots and laffs from assembled onlookers who love to chide me for having a "gadget for every job"! I tilted her saute' pan, inserted the magic swizzle stick and ran it for three (3) seconds and I was done. Popped the blender head off, tossed it in the DW. The silly jests turned to a couple of sincere 'wow's. The fat molecules were now fully assimilated and playing well with others. She went on to finish her gravy and I resumed catching flying veggies in a bowl.
Obviously, I wouldn't suggest paying for attachments. The device is well designed for the blender task but a poor compromise for others. Although I admit that I haven't actually tried it, my observation would be that the RPMs are much too high for the whisk ~picturing a Lucy-level mess here~ and the tiny high speed motor would, I'm sure, be far too weak to serve chopper duty.
Ricky
(nufsed)

Yes, I forgot to mention that mine can be used to make non-fat whipped topping just by using skimmed or 1% milk.

~Corey123.

I have a Braun as well. The key feature for me is the removable stick. You just twist it off the motor end and toss it into the DW. So easy.

I also got some attachments with it and never use them.

This is my second stick blender. I burned out the first one and decided that these were going to be disposable tools for me. As a result, I bought the Braun for $20. at Costco and won't shed a tear when I have to chuck it and get a new one.

SizzlininIN said:
Personally, I never had any luck with these things for some reason. I always seemed to make a huge mess. I threw mine in the rummage and rely on my food processor instead.

The main key to using any one of these units is that you MUST keep the blades submerged in the liquid, or you will end up with the huge mess that you speak of.:ermm:

At least halfway up the shaft. I think you should try it again and see if it isn't true for you as well.:)

Get a cheapy one to start with, then as you gain comfort and confidence, you can expand your experience to master this tool like a seasoned pro.:chef:

~Corey123.

I think mine is a Braun as well, but I am not 100% sure about that. Mine twists off like Andy's and I love that feature. It came with a number of attachments, but the only one I have ever used is the whisk. I would not spend extra money on attachments, but if the one you are looking at happens to come with them then that is fine.

Mine is a corded unit. That makes it a little tricky for me because I only have outlets on one side of my kitchen. There are none by the stove so I need to bring the pot over to the other side of the kitchen. If I were buying a new stick blender I might consider a battery operated or rechargable one, but I would not rule out another corded model.

I have a braun. so does my sis. both have worked well for years. THere are some very expensive ones out there but I don't think you need pay more than $50 at most for a good one.

I used my Cuisinart stick blender to puree cooked veggies from a pot roast to make flourless starchless gravy.

This is good for those who are on a low-carb diet and still want gravy form roasts and stews but without the flour or cornstarch to thicken them!

~Corey123.

I have a Cuisinart and I like it but now I think I would rather have the kind you can twist the motor off!

They are nifty gadgets.

:) I have an old Rival that was cheap it works great, a few weeks ago my neighbor was cleaning out her shed and was going to throw away a new cuisinart I jumped on that thing so fast.They are really good for pureeing soups and so forth.We had a great big industrial one at a few restaurants I worked at which where used to puree big pots of soup.

GB said:
Mine is a corded unit. That makes it a little tricky for me because I only have outlets on one side of my kitchen. There are none by the stove so I need to bring the pot over to the other side of the kitchen. If I were buying a new stick blender I might consider a battery operated or rechargable one, but I would not rule out another corded model.

Hmmm...

We currently have a corded Braun, but you have me thinking GB...

I'm pretty sure I have a small two stroke engine in the garage.... :angel:

John

I've got an old Braun I've had for about 10 years (it's one piece - the shaft does not come off of the motor) and it has a cord. I was going to get a "regular" blender in addition but this works so well for my needs that I just can't justify either the expense or extra space one would take up in my little kitchen.

By the way, I never put mine in the dishwasher (the shaft part that is) even though it is dishwasher safe. To clean it all I do is fill a glass halfway with water and put a few drops of soap in than use the stick blender to whirl that around. Cleans it like a charm in just a few seconds.

Yet another recommendation for the inexpensive Braun.
I love to use mine for thickening soups or stews with the cooked veggies and the ease of cleaning is great!

GB said:
By the way, I never put mine in the dishwasher (the shaft part that is) even though it is dishwasher safe. To clean it all I do is fill a glass halfway with water and put a few drops of soap in than use the stick blender to whirl that around. Cleans it like a charm in just a few seconds.

These units should NEVER go in the dishwasher. Absloutely forbidden!:ohmy:
A quick rinse is all it needs.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom