Stocking A New Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a lot of stuff - it's more than someone needs to start with. It will also cost a lot. We should try to make a list and give stuff priorities.

That's a lot of stuff - it's more than someone needs to start with. It will also cost a lot. We should try to make a list and give stuff priorities.

I was staying with my recently separated daughter when I got a phone call from the court. Could I take my granddaughter right away and give her a home? I had broken up my home so that I could help my daughter financially. All I had were my clothing and a few odds and ends. I didn't let the court know this. I went out and found a two bedroom apartment, got her bed from her mother's house, went to a thrift store and bought:

2 plates
2 bowls
2 forks
2 knives
2 spoons
1 sauce pan
1 saute pan

Enough to cook a meal and eat it.

I was ready to set up house. That first night I made a pallet for myself on the floor and she slept in a bed that she was familiar with. With yard sales over the summer, and thrift shop purchases, we put a home together little by little. But she had a home where she was loved and wanted. I later took her younger sister and brother. :chef:

I suggest bamboo spoons as an alternate to wood. They last longer and don't absorb flavors or stain. Also couldn't live without a steamer basket.

Glass will dull your knives in a heartbeat. Hardwood cutting boards are much better for knives.

+3
besides dulling your knife, glass isn't safe to cut on because your blade just chatters around on it - not good for the fingers!!
get a good end grain cutting board and spend some money on decent knives.

Micro plane graters in different sizes. Tongs and a ladle. Ziplock freezer bags. Ice cube trays if no dispenser.

A good SS stockpot
Poultry shears
tea ball for spices when making soups, etc.
lemon reamer
small strainers - the size that fits over small bowls, mixing cup
ramekins or those pyrex little dishes - I use those when prepping
cleaver
toaster oven--great for small things like baked potatoes, roasted garlic, etc., when you don't want to fire up the oven

Buy the essentials, those things you use all the time, first. Buy the best quality you can afford. My Le Crueset pans are over 30 years old and still serve me well. Today, these pans are very expensive. Perhaps when my mom bought mine for me at $199 / starter set, they were also expensive. But they have served me well and were a good investment (I priced the cost to replace the pans I have about 2 years ago--$1500 at regular price!). Good knives. Don't skimp on the knives. And, a good knife sharpener.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom