"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

The 7-Eleven stores here have hot dog rollers with hot dogs, sausages and taquitos. They're not self-serve; the clerks serve them. They do have self-serve nachos and cheese sauce with toppings, and microwaves. No deep fryers.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Just curious, but I've never seen a deep fryer in a convenience store...
We didn't see one, but I'm pretty sure that Sheetz locations have one. The gas/food/snacks chain operates in just 6 states, but we have eaten food from them when eating is necessary and choices are limited - like the one conveniently located across the parking lot from the hotel you're staying at when you get into town late at night for a family funeral the next day, and you HAVE to eat but no other place is open. Been there, done that. No T-shirt, though. It was decent enough that we actually chose to stop at a different one for food as we traveled along. Same decent food there, too.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the great replies, I see that there is a nice community here and I an inclined to stay and contribute. :)

You know, I had the same idea. My partner just mentioned it along with other things and I didn't even think twice about not needing a deep fryer. I think that his relative with a store has one, and makes "fresher" fried food, I think he even makes his on a daily basis. But I am completely with you guys, if it's good enough to 7-11, it's good enough for us... forget the deep fryer idea, lets just go with frozen food.

So shifting gears to the dog warmer... any input there? We found one that works and has a bun warmer, it looks fairly standard, gauranteed to work and is like $800, local. We can have that up and running now.. But any input? Is there a great model that I can buy on ebay that's known for being cheap and awesome? Anything new technology or standards that I should buy versus some used one that'll just do the job?

So any great name brands I should look for on ebay? That can go from hot dog rollers to pop corn machines.. Throw things at me.

Thank you for the links, I will thoroughly read everything given to me.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

A lot of restaurant supply stores have used equipment that they bought from stores that closed. They clean them up and make any needed repairs. They sell for a lot less than a new piece would. Worth looking into. You know the equipment will work. They will even give you instructions on how to use and take care of them.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Yes, I know that I can get used equipment from any number of liquidators. I'm not asking how I can buy "any" hot dog roller, I know I can just buy a $100 one right now. I'm just asking if they are all the same, or if there's favorite ones or awesome ones I should be on the hunt for.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #16
Head Chef

No brand names but when it comes to rollers.
Slick ones are easy to clean.
Rough ones will roll more types of products.

Food police note: Product should be cooked (up to safe temp) before serving.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I never considered there would be different rollers. I think I've heard of ones that advertise having slick rollers that are easy to clean. Can those really not heat up something like a Taquito though? I mean do you really have to go with rough rollers to accomplish anything, or can the slick ones pretty much handle it? I mean what can't the slick ones do?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #18
Head Chef

Check out this link:

How To Promote Roller Grill & Pizza - Convenience Store Decisions

You can find a wide varity of roller grill foods example Roller Grill Foods - Hot dogs, Sausages, Taquitos | CS Products

Welcome to Roller Bites | Roller Bites

More good info (including saftey) here: http://upforgrabsfab.com/pdf/UFG-Rol...-2013V4web.pdf

You should find a local food suppler with the best program for you. You may find that food sellers will reimburse your equipment cost after buying X of there product.