Switching from Electric to Gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gossie

Sous Chef
And no, I'm not doing this right now, maybe never, who knows.

I could not, I'm sure, afford this, I wish I could. I'm just curious. How much is involved in switching from an electric stove set-up to a gas stove set-up, work involved and expense?

If I ever win the lotto, I would really really LOVE to do this. :)

if you already have a gas line plumbed into your house, it`s pretty easy.
it really is just a question of getting rid of your electric stove and buying a new gas one, then you may have to pay a plumber to connect the pipe for you, connecting the pipe (hose) is pretty easy, but in the UK at least this must be done by someone that has the correct and up-to-date license.

YT is right. If you have no piped in gas available in your area, you can get a gas stove for propane and put a tank in your yard.

if you already have a gas line plumbed into your house, it`s pretty easy.

It can be IF your house is set up in a way to make it easy. We have a gas line into our house but not into the kitchen. Installing a gas line into the kitchen would involve tapping into the existing gas line and then ripping out part of the ceiling below the kitchen to run the new line and then repairing the ceiling. If our kitchen sat over an UNfinished space, it would be alot easier.

If you have no piped in gas available in your area, you can get a gas stove for propane and put a tank in your yard.

A friend of mine had propane in her house and she had both the stove and oven running on propane. She finally got rid of it and went all electric because she said propane burned dirty. Never heard the term before but she said it made the appliances really dirty. Has anyone else heard of this?

My old house was all electric and to switch to gas it was going to cost us about $3500.00, but that was stove, furnace, dryer, etc. because everything had to be rerouted. We had absolutely no gas at all and the lines would have had to have been run from the street. Personally, I miss my old oven. It baked evenly and I never had issues like I do with this gas one. I know this is an older, cheaper model (and not mine - came with the place I am renting), but I really miss being able to cook at 350F and have it cook at 350F...not 250F one minute and 550F the next.

A friend of mine had propane in her house and she had both the stove and oven running on propane. She finally got rid of it and went all electric because she said propane burned dirty. Never heard the term before but she said it made the appliances really dirty. Has anyone else heard of this?

sounds like the Air inlets for the burners wasn`t sufficient then.
I use Propane for my Bunsen, and I can assure you it DOES burn cleanly :)

either that or the gas was contaminated?

sounds like the Air inlets for the burners wasn`t sufficient then.
I use Propane for my Bunsen, and I can assure you it DOES burn cleanly :)

either that or the gas was contaminated?

I was surprised she said didn't burn cleanly and maybe it was the air inlet or something else. I don't think the propane tank was too old, maybe 6-8 years old.

If your thinking of propane let me know, there are things about installing LP that do not apply to natural gas.

About LP being dirty, what happens it Ethyl (ethyl mercaptan) settles out/condenses in the bottom of the tank. Normally it isn't a problem as Ethyl is covered by the LP. When the tank goes 'empty' Ethyl is uncovered and starts remixing with he gaseous propane. This is the most notable time when propane burns dirty, and when dealerships start getting calls for non existent gas leaks. Seems Ethyl does not burn completely, especially ing the pilot lights, and the stink .... well, the stink makes it through the flame.

There are other reasons propane could burn dirty. Such as there being a NG jet, or out of adjustment, or the dealer could have contaminated the fuel in various ways (they may have filled the tank with motor fuel propane. Anyone growing a third eye?).

Far as plumbing NG, not hard at all. Hardest part about it has been mentioned, getting to the place to run the pipe, tearing out then fixing walls. No big thing for me as I'm an all around type of guy and serious DIYer, I already have the tools and experience.

Running the pipe itself is easy, or at least not that difficult. And doing it yourself isn't that expensive, and a bunch cheaper than hiring a plumber even after buying the pipe wrenches and other tools. Assuming there is already gas in the house.

What you need to do is read up on the Fuel Gas Code(s) to learn how to do the work. Location of drip legs, valves, pipe support, etc.

Then there are permit issues and such ... sort of .... and that's another story.

Back
Top Bottom